cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Loop in my Project - RIP + OSPF

iPhoneFreak
Level 1
Level 1

I do have a routing loop between routers R1 and R2. Does anyone of you have any suggestion for me on how to solve the problem?

I did attach my project in Packet Tracer!

7 Replies 7

Martin L
VIP
VIP

it happens because u have 2 redistribution points; so obviously change/make to 1 redistribution point;

otherwise, 2 ways to prevent loops: changing AD and filleting routes based on tags

not sure if you can apply either solution in PT since it just a sim; u could use GNS3

in case of RIP /OSPF, there was good video on youtube by INE Brian McG - if i can find it, i attach link

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

That did not really help me. I entered the no command for both the redistribute rip subnets and the redistribute ospf 1 metric 12 commands only on Router R1 and there still is the routing loop. Any suggestions?

Hello,

the only 'loop' I could see was that OSPF has two paths. That is because by default, OSPF does equal cost load balancing over 4 links. If you want to get rid of the dual paths on R1 and R2, configure the below on Serial0/1/0 on both routers:

ip ospf cost 100

Even if I enter the command on both Routers, there still is no change and the packets go on between R1 and R2 forever.

Hello, 

which packets are looping, what source and destination IP addresses ?

If I use the simple PDU option in PT and firstly click on the PC1 and then on the PC11 for instance, then the routing loop occurs.

Hello,

on R2, you could increase the OSPF distance:

R2

router ospf 1
log-adjacency-changes
redistribute rip metric 500 subnets
network 10.64.0.0 0.31.255.255 area 0
network 10.0.0.0 0.31.255.255 area 0
network 192.168.1.64 0.0.0.63 area 0
network 10.128.0.0 0.63.255.255 area 0
--> distance ospf external 200
!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card