cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex App will not optimize meetings on VMware Horizon 8.4

dgracia34
Level 1
Level 1

Since moving to the Webex App we have been pretty successful having optimized meetings as long as the plugin on the thin client and the App were matching versions. 

Recently we found that since we were not on the latest App version (I was on v42.6.0.22645) Webex was forcing a Cisco Webex Meetings install on the virtual desktop (HVD). Since this began we have not seen optimized meetings. We are using a variety of thin clients for remote workers but the testing is focusing on HP MT22 Thin Client running HP Thin OS (Linux based) and a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Win10 21H2. 

I have updated the plugin on the HP and Surface to the latest version (42.10.0.23814) so that it matches the version on my desktop as of 10/14/22. I do see that a Cisco Webex Meetings install was added on 10/25 (note: I did not install this intentionally, it is a forced install/update from the App). 

As of this morning I still do not have a an optimized meeting. 

The case I have open with support has been going back and forth and I'm still having to prove that I have the plugin since the logs seem to state otherwise. 

Has anyone else had this issue and been able to resolve the problem? 

1 Reply 1

kkehnen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dgracia34,

we use Citrix for VDI but have not had problems so far.

Cisco generally recommends to keep the plugin and the frontend App at the same versions.
To have a clean working surface i would recommend to un- and reinstall both the app on the server as well as the plugin.

At this point, for windows OSes there are two plugins: one for webex app and one for webex meetings.
This might be an interesting topic to look into. Do a healthcheck from the webex app and check if the plugin is detected with the correct version. Maybe the detection of the HVD is not working correctly or network (security) is at fault.
Since you do not mention the popup about missing or incompatible plugin from within the webex app I guess this works.

For the meeting part, there is also an option to check the channel between the frontend and the pluging.

PS: Hope your problem is long gone by now.

Cheers

Kevin