cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AMP4EP, MAC and Windows OS Booting options on the same Machine.

eblandon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All;

I hope someone would be able to help me with a query from a customer, the customer has got a user base that is given Macbook air for work, however the end user decides which OS they want to boot in. They have two options Windows and MAC OS, in this scenario the IT manager would not know on which Booting system the end user will work since is based on user preference.

The questions here is on this scenario where there are two OS (Windows and MAC) booting options on the same machine (a MAC machine), does the customer needs to have two connectors (licenses) per machine? so lets say the customer has got 200 end user machines that are configured on this way , does it mean that the customer needs then 400 licences (200 for windows OS and 200 for  MAC OS) ?

Let me know if this is clear and if you have any questions.

Enrique.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for the explanation on this.

As this is the case on this scenario (the customer switch from MAC OS to Windows) it would be ok to said that the customer would required one connector for MAC and one for windows (on the same physical machine) , so they have protection once they connect on the cloud regardless of the OS they are using.

I am asking this because as an example if there are 50 machines that are set-up this way then the number of licenses the customer needs to deploy is 100 (1 license for the windows environment and 1 for the MAC OS).

Enrique.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

brmcmaho
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AMP is licensed based on how many unique connectors have actually communicated with the cloud, and not based on how many connectors reside on a disk somewhere.

So in the scenario you describe, where an organization distributes MacBooks with both macOS and Windows installed, and lets the user select which one they prefer to boot into, if a user boots only into one operating system, only one connector instance will ever be active, and it should show up as a single active endpoint for AMP licensing purposes.

If the user switches back and forth, booting into both environments, this will be counted as two active connectors.

A special case arises if a user starts in one OS, and later decides to switch exclusively to the other.  In this case, you could simply remove the old (stale, no longer needed) endpoint instance in the AMP console.

Thank you for the explanation on this.

As this is the case on this scenario (the customer switch from MAC OS to Windows) it would be ok to said that the customer would required one connector for MAC and one for windows (on the same physical machine) , so they have protection once they connect on the cloud regardless of the OS they are using.

I am asking this because as an example if there are 50 machines that are set-up this way then the number of licenses the customer needs to deploy is 100 (1 license for the windows environment and 1 for the MAC OS).

Enrique.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: