cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI broadcast domain

gavin han
Level 1
Level 1

if I have 2 EPGs in same BD than is broadcast domain limited to EPG or is it limited to BD?

5 Replies 5

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In ACI the the BD represent the broadcast domain, so if you have 2 EPGs in the same BD both EPGs will see all broadcast traffic.

hope this helps.

Hi Manuel, thank you for your reply.

Can you please point me to official documentation where this is clearly stated? I mostly see explanations how unknown unicast traffic and ARP can be handled depending on BD configuration, but so far I couldn't see anyone mentioning explicitly that broadcast will always be flooded among EPGs belonging to same BD.

Thanks!

Hi Ivan,

As mentioned in previous post, BD is the broadcast(flooding) domain in ACI. 

However, beginning with Cisco APIC Release 3.1(1), on the Cisco Nexus 9000 series switches (with names ending with EX and FX and onwards), there is an option in BD called as Flood in Encapsulation.The Flood in Encapsulation option is used to limit flooding traffic inside the BD to a single encapsulation. When two EPGs share the same BD and Flood in Encapsulation is enabled, the EPG flooding traffic does not reach the other EPG.

Please refer ==> Bridge Domains and Subnets section and Configuring Flood in Encapsulation for All Protocols and Proxy ARP Across Encapsulations for your reference.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Jayesh

***Mark all posts that are helpful***

Thanks for the links Jayesh, Flood in encapsulation feature is exactly what I was looking for!

If flood in Encapsulation is disabled and BD has two subnets and Endpoints in 2 EPGs belong to different subnet. Will they receive broadcast of other network?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License