Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC release and switch version compatibility

irenof
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am looking for a site, or compatibility matrix between APIC release and switches version. When I upgrade the APIC release have I always to also upgrade the switches version (example version 5.2(5) requires 15.2(5) only?)

I have been asked to update only the APIC cluster, but I wonder if this is wrong.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @irenof 

Is it what you looking for ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/Website/datacenter/acihwsupport/index.html

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The general guidelines are as follows:

• Controllers must always be running the same or higher version than the switches.
  • All controllers in a cluster will always run the same version
  • While it's supported to run the fabric with mixed version (APICs in Version v2, and Switches running version v1), it's recommended to try and keep them the same version whenver possible.  The mixed version support is primarily to support upgrades across maintenance windows, but not for long-term operation.  New features may be exposed to the controller, but may not be (yet) supported on switches if they're running older versions. 
  • VPC switch pairs should always be upgraded in the same maintenance window (just not simultaneously)
  • There should be no issues running up to a 2-major version difference between Controllers & Switches, but I wouldn't push it more than that.  Ex. Controllers running 6.x and Switches running 4.x.

Regards,
Robert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License