Views
Helpful
Replies

App centric approach migration

Jaya_tv
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Currently we have one xy application running in ACI  as 'network centric mode'.

SIngle-EPG=Single-BD

EPG-50 (Six servers virtual machines)

BD -50 ( 10.0.0.1)

We are planing for app centric approach without changing application  IP or subnet.

App centric migration plan

-----------------------

EPG-WEB -10  ( WEB1 - 10.0.0.10 , WEB 2 10.0.0.11) 

EPG-APP-20  (APP1 - 10.0.0.12, APP2 - 10.0.0.13),

EPG-DB-30 (DB1 - 10.0.0.14, DB2 - 10.0.0.14) 

All 3 EPGs will be part of single  BD(10.0.0.1)--->Gateway

I am going to create 3 different port group in VMware standard switch and pass vlan 10,20,30

UCS-Blade(ESXi)--->UCS FI--->Leaf-100 static binding to respective EPGs configured above.

My Goal

------

I want  to  control all  EPG communications thru contract

My Questions

-----------

By any chance vlan communications will locally switch in VMware switch or UCS FI?

My understanding is it should  not switch locally in VMware switch or FI

Please correct me

Just a note,all VLANS are part of same subnet with single(BD) gateway.

Regards

J

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Jaya_tv,

When you move your VMs to Application Centric, you will be moving each VM to a new VMware Portgroup.  In other words, you will re-assign the network adapter of each VM to a new portgroup that will be linked to one of your 3 VLANs (10,20 or 30 assuming EPG-WEB -10 means VLAN 10, EPG-APP-20 means VLAN 20 and EPG-DB-30 means VLAN 30)

Now:

• If two servers in the same Portgroup/EPG and on the same ESXi host communicate with each other, their communication will be through the vSwitch - no further. Neither the FIs or ACI will see the frames.
  • If two servers in the same Portgroup/EPG and on different ESXi hosts communicate with each other, their communication will be through the FIs. ACI will not see the frames.
  • If two servers in different Portgroups/EPGs communicate with each other, their communication will be through the ACI leaves, and a contract must exist for the communication to take place.

It makes no difference if the EPGs are on the same BD or not - clearly in your case they will be on the same BD with the same default gateway.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Jaya_tv,

When you move your VMs to Application Centric, you will be moving each VM to a new VMware Portgroup.  In other words, you will re-assign the network adapter of each VM to a new portgroup that will be linked to one of your 3 VLANs (10,20 or 30 assuming EPG-WEB -10 means VLAN 10, EPG-APP-20 means VLAN 20 and EPG-DB-30 means VLAN 30)

Now:

• If two servers in the same Portgroup/EPG and on the same ESXi host communicate with each other, their communication will be through the vSwitch - no further. Neither the FIs or ACI will see the frames.
  • If two servers in the same Portgroup/EPG and on different ESXi hosts communicate with each other, their communication will be through the FIs. ACI will not see the frames.
  • If two servers in different Portgroups/EPGs communicate with each other, their communication will be through the ACI leaves, and a contract must exist for the communication to take place.

It makes no difference if the EPGs are on the same BD or not - clearly in your case they will be on the same BD with the same default gateway.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License