cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I run APIC on vmware and connect it with GNS3?

I tried using aci simulator.

However, this virtual switch is automatically registered in the simulator.

In the simulator, only a specified node can be registered.

This is not what I want.

What I want is to simulate multiple switches and register FW , ISE , NTP , DNS etc... in APIC.

Can APIC connect with GNS3?

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/285968390/type/286278832/release/5.2(3g)

Can I download the ISO file from here and upload it to VMWARE?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @JustTakeTheFirstStep ,

I just had to look at this one when I saw GNS3 mentioned!

But it's been a long time since I've seriously played with GNS3 like I used to. 

image.png

Now the problem is that the ACI simulator DOES NOT simulate the Nexus 9000 switch hardware like GNS3 can

Sure, you can use it to simulate the APIC controller, and via that have the APIC controller create a vSwitch in a vCenter instance but there is NO PHYSICAL or even simulated connection between the VMs that the vCenter manages and the APIC simulator.

Real World

image.png

APIC Simulator

image.png

So even though you could probably get VM1 and VM2 communicating in the same Port Group (or same EPG is simulator terms) as per the diagram above, you would never be able to test ACI policy between them by putting them in different EPGs. And you'd never get VM1 to communicate with VM3.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

This is why I believe it should be renamed in APIC simulator

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @JustTakeTheFirstStep ,

I just had to look at this one when I saw GNS3 mentioned!

But it's been a long time since I've seriously played with GNS3 like I used to. 

image.png

Now the problem is that the ACI simulator DOES NOT simulate the Nexus 9000 switch hardware like GNS3 can

Sure, you can use it to simulate the APIC controller, and via that have the APIC controller create a vSwitch in a vCenter instance but there is NO PHYSICAL or even simulated connection between the VMs that the vCenter manages and the APIC simulator.

Real World

image.png

APIC Simulator

image.png

So even though you could probably get VM1 and VM2 communicating in the same Port Group (or same EPG is simulator terms) as per the diagram above, you would never be able to test ACI policy between them by putting them in different EPGs. And you'd never get VM1 to communicate with VM3.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

This is why I believe it should be renamed in APIC simulator

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

@RedNectar Good explanation. The ACI simulater does not have even two end points inside. If it does have, it would be a good simulater. But now it is almost useless simulater. Do not know how cisco think about it. ACI in sandbox also does not include at less two end points?  

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License