cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use same ACI physical interface for VMM integration and L3 out?

xh_liu
Level 1
Level 1

My question is:

The ACI integrates with vCenter.

I want to use a vm as a external router(eve-ng).

I don't know if I can use same ACI interface which connect to VMware Hypervisor for L3 out interface config?

If it work, how to implement it ?

Thank a lot!

6 Replies 6

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

I haven't built it, but there should be no reason why you couldn't use the same ACI interface which is connect to a VMware Hypervisor for a L3 out interface config.  However, you might have to make sure that the VLAN(s) that you want to use on the external router are configured in two pools:

1. A Static VLAN pool which is associated with the External L3 Domain which is linked to the L3 Out you will use
  2. A Static entry range in the Dynamic VLAN pool that is linked to the VMM Domain which will manage the eternal router.

You would then make sure that the static VLANs are manually assigned to the EPGs when assigning the VMM Domain to the EPGs.

What I DON'T KNOW is whether ACI will throw an error when you try and statically assign the same VLANs to SVIs on the routed interface facing the eve-ng router.

I've been thinking of playing with eve-ng myself, so I'd be interested in finding out how you get on!

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Im not sure how you are planning to connecting . this interface. Is it a trunk that has VLANs for VMM and you want to have also VLAN that will be associated with L3 out, right ? and you want to add it L3 our ? Obviously not as interface, so SVI ? Sub-interface ?   

sorry, I did not read you question completely. 

You can create L3out to the VM but you need to use different VLAN number in L3Out 

So I understand that I need one vlan pool for VMM domain, which include a static entry range; and another vlan pool for L3 domain. The two polls should have same static vlan used for l3out.
I will try it soon.
but why I need to create the EPG you write in your reply?

You need to connect your router to a port-group. IF it is ACI generated port-group, you need EPG and VMM domain attached to EPG to create a port-group, right ? 

Another config. , simpler one will be to attach V-router to a non-ACI created  port-group with static VLAN, provision that VLAN via uplink to ACI and assign it to L3out. 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License