Level 1

hi, 

can we connect two leaf together.

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the use case here to connect leaf to leaf? when there is a spine available?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

hi, @balaji.bandi 

I heard from my manager yesterday that we can connect leaf to leaf in some cases , so i was just wondering if anyone can light some shed on it 

I am not aware of any case where connecting two leafs together is a valid ACI topology.  In fact ACI has a protocol, MCP (aptly named Mis Cabling Protocol) , to specifically avoid issues caused by connecting two leafs or two spines together.

From one of my favorite ACI resources:
https://unofficialaciguide.com/2018/03/27/using-mcp-miscabling-protocol-for-aci/

Remember that the fabric does not participate in Spanning Tree so adding additional paths is not supported and could cause issues (hence MCP).

yes, you can extend the network to connect leaf.

check below is that your case?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/dcn/whitepapers/cisco-application-centric-infrastructure-design-guide.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi @kirankelkar10 ,

I hope you are aware of the limitations of ACI Multi-Tier architecture - from your reference document:

• Only Cisco Cloudscale switches are supported for Multi-tier spine and leaf.

• Spine: EX/FX/C/GX/GX2 spines (For example, Cisco Nexus 9332C, 9364C, 9316D-GX, and 9500 with EX/FX/GX linecards)

• Tier-1 leaf: EX/FX/FX2/FX3/GX/GX2 except Cisco Nexus 93180LC-EX

• Tier-2 leaf: EX/FX/FX2/FX3/GX/GX2

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

RyanMartin77123
Level 1
Level 1

There are also some exceptions to this rule that can be applied with using ACI Physical Remote Leaf. I believe this is limited to direct vPC peer links though to facilitate orphan port switching without needing to involve upstream IPN router. 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License