Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Everything in Common Tenant?

We're gearing up to do a brownfield DC migration to ACI.  Our integration partner is designing tenants for us.  But:

• my team will be the only one logging in to any APIC
  • there will only be one context/VRF
  • I only have L3out's to a common pair of campus core routers, and want to route intra-tenant with no restrictions

What is the benefit of configuring things in a tenant, rather than everything in the common tenant?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @weylin.piegorsch ,

DO NOT DO EVERYTHING IN THE common Tenant

The common tenant holds ALL the default values for ALL other tenants. If you configure everything in the common tenant, and later decide that you want to add a new tenant - then that new tenant will have access to everything in the common tenant.

I'm sure you agree that the networking world is littered with designs that fell apart because someone thought "we'll never need to do that"

The total effort you'll need to go to to add an extra tenant and configure that tenant rather than the common tenant will add approximately 15 seconds to your total build time - and 10 of those seconds will be deciding on a name for the tenant.

That's 15 seconds of planning and implementation that may save 15 hours or more in the future.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @weylin.piegorsch ,

DO NOT DO EVERYTHING IN THE common Tenant

The common tenant holds ALL the default values for ALL other tenants. If you configure everything in the common tenant, and later decide that you want to add a new tenant - then that new tenant will have access to everything in the common tenant.

I'm sure you agree that the networking world is littered with designs that fell apart because someone thought "we'll never need to do that"

The total effort you'll need to go to to add an extra tenant and configure that tenant rather than the common tenant will add approximately 15 seconds to your total build time - and 10 of those seconds will be deciding on a name for the tenant.

That's 15 seconds of planning and implementation that may save 15 hours or more in the future.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

ok I'll buy that

BTW - love your blog.  We've been reading a plethora of articles, the discussion on naming convention has been exceptionally helpful in these early stages.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License