cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to make a transit VRF by intra VRF route leaking only?

surzn
Level 1
Level 1

I've searched here and there and failed to find someone mentioned this - Maybe that indicates not possible.

But I still wanna have a definite answer: assuming we have 3 VRF - A, B and C. 

Can we leak routes from VRF A to VRF B then leak those(or part of) routes from VRF B to VRF C and vice versa? More than just shared services inside of VRF B.

I know just for 3 VRFs, not really necessary to create such middle man, however, if we have tens of VRFs, having a transit to control route exchange among VRFs makes sense. 

I can tell we should be able archive such target by only using L3out, peering L3out between VRFs - also a tedious work if too many VRFs and involving physical cabling I guess.

Please shed some light on how to solve such situation.

Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes bgp can do this, and its called exactly that; route leaking. I havent got a working example. But i have worked on this many moons ago..

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thank you for your comments Dennis.

I deem it should be possible in theory based on the traditional VRF routing knowledge, just not sure whether ACI will behave the same manner, and no documents I can find mention such - those are either purely shared service or route leaking between 2 VRFs for VRF internal segments. Also the only "transit" way documented is L3out.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License