Views
Helpful
Replies

L3Out with EIGRP and VPC

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

in a ACI fabric we configure a L3Out with EIGRP and VPC (SVI). 

The Router (ASR1000) has a port-channel to both border leafs. VPC ist up. 

As the routing protocol we use EIGRP. 

We receive the following messages in the log/console: 
*Oct 8 12:55:48.743: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor <IP> (Port-channel1.111) is down: Peer Termination received
*Oct 8 12:55:48.820: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor <IP> (Port-channel1.111) is up: new adjacency
*Oct 8 12:55:58.161: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor <IP> (Port-channel1.111) is down: Peer Termination received
*Oct 8 12:55:58.594: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor <IP> (Port-channel1.111) is up: new adjacency
*Oct 8 12:55:59.080: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor <IP> (Port-channel1.111) is down: Peer Termination received
*Oct 8 12:55:59.332: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 1: Neighbor <IP> (Port-channel1.111) is up: new adjacency

The timers are the same on both the router and the fabric. 

Any idea how to solve this? 

Udo 

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

suggest below guide to look : ( check the IP reachable, MTU / any ACL ?)

https://unofficialaciguide.com/2017/09/26/l3out-eigrp-using-routed-interfaces/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,
thanks for sharing this. I know this document and it is really helpful.
But we use SVI instead. And regarding the MTU i noticed on router 1500 and on leaf 9000
I‘m not really sure if this is a problem for EIGRP.

Hi @udo.konstantin,

MTU mismatch in EIGRP is indeed a problem. In this specific scenario, the ACI Border Leaf could send EIGRP UPDATE packets with an MTU size of 9000 and these packets would not be properly received on the ASR1K Router due to its interface allowing only an MTU size of 1500. If the ASR1K does not receive the EIGRP UPDATE packet, it will never reply with any EIGRP ACK causing that eventually, the EIGRP process on the ACI Border Leaf to give up and terminate the EIGRP adjacency by sending an EIGRP packet to indicate to the ASR1K the session is being terminated (and therefore that "is down: Peer Termination received" message on the ASR1K). This process will repeat indefinitely.

This scenario may not be evident in case the EIGRP UPDATE packet is smaller than 1500 bytes which may be the case if there is a small number of routes to advertise. Adding new routes to be advertised by EIGRP will generate small size EIGRP UPDATE packets containing only these new routes. However, if the EIGRP session needs to be initiated from scratch (for instance, after the Router was reloaded) this mis-configuration can cause the EIGRP session to start flapping since the number of routes to be advertised has grown and the EIGRP UPDATE packet to be sent will contain a large number of routes and therefore its size can be larger than 1500 bytes.

The note included in the documented shared by @balaji.bandi applies regardless of SVI, routed sub-interface or routed interface in ACI ... actually it applies for any EIGRP neighborship between any kind of network devices.

From the document:

Note – Ensure your MTU matches! Failure to match your MTU will result in EIGRP neighbor sessions that do not fully form.

Good luck!

Any other suggestions? I am experiencing the same issue...I do check both end of the EIGRP peering is set to MTU1500...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License