cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 Actibe/Active extension between two ACI Fabrics

abbasali5
Level 1
Level 1

If I have two Data Centers with Cisco ACI Fabric. What will be the best way to connect them in Active/Active mode with WAN bandwidth requirements.   Do I need a separate leaf switches at both datacenters to connect to WAN link between the two data centers.  It will be a Layer 2 extension over MPLS so I have two options:  OTV or VXLAN which I think will require another pair of Nexus switches such as 7000/5000.  Not sure if it makes sense to spend so much money on Nexus 7000/5000 just to support Layer 2 Extension across Active/Active Data Centers.  Our ACI Networks between two datacenters are  not very huge so is there a more cost effective route for Layer 2 extension with Active/Active support.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

adeboye.adeoso
Level 1
Level 1

- DCI is an solution you deploy to interconnect multiple datacenters and extend Layer 2 and/or Layer 3 with or without multi-tenancy.  A DCI solution relies on a Data Plane for the Transport and a Control plane for an efficient and solid mechanism for endpoint discovery and distribution between sites (and much more).  

That been said, 

Three DCI options are proposed

●  One very simple option, limited to dual-site deployments, uses vPC. In this case, the border leaf switches of both fabrics are simply connected back to back using either dark fiber of DWDM connections.

●  The second option uses the most popular DCI technology: OTV. It is still uses vPC to connect to the fabric, but it uses a Layer 3 routed connection over the core network.

●  The third option is still emerging. It uses VXLAN technology to offer Layer 2 extension services across sites. (Although i hear this is available in 2017 amongst my friends in Cisco)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/data-center-virtualization/application-centric-infrastructure/white-paper-c11-737077.pdf

HTH

Adeboye 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License