cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NX-OS command to find which leaf switches own the bridge-domain L3 address.

nickmturner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm struggling with this and wonder if you could help.

Imagine that I have an environment with many leaf switches acting as top of racks with certain infrastructure connecting to specific leaf switches. In this scenario a layer 3 bridge domain might only be configured on one leaf or one VPC pair. 

I know that I can easily use the GUI to find which leaf switches will own the IP addresses of my bridge domains. What I'm trying to ascertain is how can I find this using the NX-OS CLI from leaf switches that don't own the BDs?

Scenario: I have a Layer 3 bridge domain 10.1.1.0/24 with an SVI address of 10.1.1.1 owned by leaf switch 10. This BD is configured under vrf1 within mytenant. If I check the routing for this network on leaf switch 10 I can see that it is a locally connected network. 

leaf-switch-10# show ip route vrf mytenant:vrf1 10.1.1.1
IP Route Table for VRF "mytenant:vrf1"
'*' denotes best ucast next-hop
'**' denotes best mcast next-hop
'[x/y]' denotes [preference/metric]
'%<string>' in via output denotes VRF <string>

10.1.1.1/32, ubest/mbest: 1/0, attached, pervasive
*via 10.1.1.1, vlan3, [1/0], 45w317d, local, local

However, if I then check the same route from leaf switch 5 which is not configured with this BD my next hop is a VTEP pool IP. I would have expected this next hop address to be the VTEP address of leaf switch 10 which owns the BD but it is unexpectedly a spine switch? Now, obviously when I check the routing table on the spine switches, they are unaware of the tenant-level VRFs and I only get the overlay VRF routing table containing the VTEP nodes. 

leaf-switch-5# show ip route vrf mytenant:vrf1 10.1.1.1
IP Route Table for VRF "mytenant:vrf1"
'*' denotes best ucast next-hop
'**' denotes best mcast next-hop
'[x/y]' denotes [preference/metric]
'%<string>' in via output denotes VRF <string>

10.1.1.0/24, ubest/mbest: 1/0, attached, direct, pervasive
*via 1.1.1.1%overlay-1, [1/0], 14w102d, static
recursive next hop: 1.1.1.1/32%overlay-1

Is anyone aware of an NX-OS command that can tell me which leaf switches have the local/directly-connected L3 bridge domain network from the perspective of leaf switches where the BD is not locally connected?

1 Reply 1

PatrickH1
Level 1
Level 1

HI Nick,

sure, the following output tells us, the Pervasive Gateway to that Leaf is assigned with the "Protocol Indepent VLAN" of 3.

*via 10.1.1.1, vlan3, [1/0], 45w317d, local, local

You can use (locally): show ip int brief | egrep vlan4

You can also use(Globally) on APIC: fabric 111-121 show ip int br | egrep 10.1.1.1

In the upper example 111-121 are the leaf IDs, but these are just an example. Place all your expected Leafs IDs there.

I hope this helps you out, if yes, mark it with helpful :)

Kind Regards

Patick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License