Views
Helpful
Replies

Third party IPN devices?

tuanquangnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

If the third party devices support features required by Multi-Pod IPN (modified MTU, PIM Bidir, DHCP Relay, sub-interfaces, OSPF, etc.), is it possible to use them for IPN?

Thanks heaps,

5 Replies 5

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

Sure, as long as the device meets the requirements you can use it as an IPN router.

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @tuanquangnguyen 

Absolutely! In the end, it is just an underlay. It can be any type of router, as long as it supports the requirements.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hey!

Yes of course, go through the following and make sure the IPN meets the described requierements:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/application-centric-infrastructure/white-paper-c11-737855.html#InterPodConnectivityDeploymentConsiderations

Hope that helps.

Best regards
Juls

tuanquangnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Marcel Zehnder, @Sergiu.Daniluk and @julian.bendix,

Thank you for your input.

Is there any official document on other third party vendors regarding this? Since apparently on Cisco docs while it stated any arbitrary IPN could work, didn't specify if there are supports or configuration for third-party IPN devices.

(Unlike PBR, where Cisco officially stated that it would work with other vendors like Palo Alto, CheckPoint, etc. And vice versa. There are none like this for Multi-Pod/Multi-Site IPN/ISN)

Thanks again

Hi @tuanquangnguyen 

There is no official list of 'supported' vendors, and personally, I do not see the need of such a list. I see it like this: any model of router from any vendor will work, as long as it supports the IPN requirements. 

In case of PBR, I think they made a list of supported firewalls, as there might be a lot of requirements for different firewalls to be integrated in a SG (it's just a guess). 

In case of IPN, being just a IP network, the expectations are to just forward traffic.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License