Helpful
Replies

Vlan Native 1 - Mellanox Cumulus

santunez_cl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys

I have the following situation:

A Mellanox AS4610 Switch with Cumulus Network OS was configured and created a Bond mode 802.3ad that corresponds to LACP.

The LACP raises without problems, and by propagating two vlans from the Leafs, the bond changes to discarding.

Mellanox Support tells us that from ACI we must pass vlan 1 as native in LACP but I am not sure if it is possible to configure native vlan 1 in ACI, since I do not have much experience in ACI

I did a lab with 2 Nexus without ACI both in VPC and I didn't have this problem, but with ACI I don't know if it is possible since I read that ACI does not handle Native VLAN 1 by default

Could you tell me if it is possible to configure native vlan 1 in ACI

Thanks for your help

3 Replies 3

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Ho @santunez_cl ,

[With some edits after @tuanquangnguyen pointed out my error[

OK. Firstly let's put your diagram inline so everyone sees it.

image.png

I'm not sure that the Mellanox Support understand VLANs if they say "Support tells us that from ACI we must pass vlan 1 as native in LACP " - ACI ALWAYS passes LACP paced untagged.  But Untagged DOES NOT MEAN VLAN 1 (Yes. 99% of the time the untagged VLAN is VLAN 1)

Anyway, assuming they are correct, you may need to put VLAN 1 coming from the Mellanox switch into an EPG in ACI terminology.

So for the a set of access policies that you are using with the VPC, Include VLAN 1 in the VLAN Pool so your Access Policy Chain looks like this:

image.png

Then create an EPG to collect the VLAN 1 packets, and add the VPC to that EPG making sure you check <edit> Untagged. 8021P </edit>

Typically this EPG would be used to collect MST BPDUs, so if you have an EPG for that, you could possibly use that.

<edit - old diagram replaced after @tuanquangnguyen pointed out my error>

image.png

</edit>

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Adding in to Chris's solution, I think if he requires VLAN 1 to be native on a trunk instead of an access port (that access VLAN 1), select Access (802.1P) for Mode.

It would put a "switchport trunk native vlan 1 EPG epg_abcd" under that interface/vPC configuration. Otherwise, once an interface has been configured as static port with Access (Untagged) in an EPG, it cannot be configured as static ports within other EPGs

Yep. My bad - DEFINITELY should have posted

image.png

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License