Views
Helpful
Replies

What is command to save config in ACI

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

Folks

New leaf and spine are added to ACI system plus inital config. but all configuration disappear after reboot. Is there a commnad to save all configuration? all regular save command do not work in the system. Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @interfacedy ,

I'm guessing that you are still working with the Simulator!

Losing the configuration on each reboot is normal behaviour for the simulator.  To save your configuration, you'll need an external files server - FTP, SCP or SFTP.   I use FileZilla Server.  Set up a user and a directory something like my ftp user below

image.png

Once you have done your setup, in ACI, navigate to Admin > Import/Export >> Remote Locations >+ Add Remote location

Fill in the details for your FilZilla server something like:

image.png

TIP: If you Right-click on your created remote location and save the JSON (or XML) config locally you will be glad you did later.

image.png

Now navigate to Admin > Config Rollbacks and select the remote location you just created, add a description and click Create snapshot now

image.png

Check your FTP server to ensure your backup is saved.

image.pngRepeat the above steps every time you wish to save your configuration.

After Rebooting...

...the simulator VM, you will have to go through the initial setup again, AND set up the FTP server again, (easy to do using Post if you followed the tip above - but you will have to edit it to re-enter the password) but then you can:

navigate to: Admin > Config Rollbacks click the down-arrow icon to restore the saved config. You'll need to know the long and difficult name of the backup file (see screenshot)

image.png

Unfortunately, this is as easy as it gets in the Simulator

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @interfacedy ,

I'm guessing that you are still working with the Simulator!

Losing the configuration on each reboot is normal behaviour for the simulator.  To save your configuration, you'll need an external files server - FTP, SCP or SFTP.   I use FileZilla Server.  Set up a user and a directory something like my ftp user below

image.png

Once you have done your setup, in ACI, navigate to Admin > Import/Export >> Remote Locations >+ Add Remote location

Fill in the details for your FilZilla server something like:

image.png

TIP: If you Right-click on your created remote location and save the JSON (or XML) config locally you will be glad you did later.

image.png

Now navigate to Admin > Config Rollbacks and select the remote location you just created, add a description and click Create snapshot now

image.png

Check your FTP server to ensure your backup is saved.

image.pngRepeat the above steps every time you wish to save your configuration.

After Rebooting...

...the simulator VM, you will have to go through the initial setup again, AND set up the FTP server again, (easy to do using Post if you followed the tip above - but you will have to edit it to re-enter the password) but then you can:

navigate to: Admin > Config Rollbacks click the down-arrow icon to restore the saved config. You'll need to know the long and difficult name of the backup file (see screenshot)

image.png

Unfortunately, this is as easy as it gets in the Simulator

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

Thank you! 

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

@RedNectar In most cisco device, there is a command to save configuration change such as write memory or copy .. etc.

In real ACI, is there a command to save configuration? In cisco AP, we do not need to save configuration change. once making change, it can be saved automatically. so ACI is same as AP to save config? 

In my aci simulator, after making configuration change, i cannot save configuration if i shut down from vm, but it can save configuration after reload. Not sure if other people have the same result. 

Hi @interfacedy ,

ACI configuration is kept in a database.  Whenever you hit the Submit button on a form in ACI, the database gets updated. In three places (assuming 3 or more APICs). And if that database update means that one or more of the switch configurations needs updating, the APIC pushes that change to the switches - so in ACI it kind of the reverse of a normal switch, where you can make changes to the running configuration before committing them to the stored (startup) configuration.

In ACI, the config is saved first, pushed to switches next.

So there is no save running-config command in ACI.

BUT I think you know that already.  Your problem is that way the ACI simulator is built.  Remember, the ACI simulator is just a big VM that runs a lot of VMs within itself!  And within that pod of internal VMs is one or three APICs (depending on the options you choose at boot up time of the main Simulator VM).

Now my understanding is that the way the APIC simulator works is that after you boot up the Sim and choose how you want to run it (one APIC or three APICs) the startup process then sets about initialising the databases to a known pre-determined configuration (with a few errors showing in the event log I think - just so there's some data for you to look at).

And this re-initialisation happens EVERY time you shut down and restart the Sim - which is very frustrating if you want to continue from where you left off last time!  But I kind of understand why it was written this way.  The way the database works is quite differently depending if there is only one APIC or three of them.  And since you get to make that choice each time you boot the SIM it is probably easier for the programmers who put the thing together to just re-initialise every time.

Which means that if you want to continue working from where you left off, you must either

1. Backup manually (as described earlier in this thread) or
  2.  Never turn off the Sim - but I've found that it can lock itself up after a few days anyway, and you have no choice but to reboot it anyway.

interfacedy
Spotlight
Spotlight

Thank you @RedNectar 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License