cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9300 40G uplink used for server connectivity

Hongjun Ma
Level 1
Level 1

For 40G uplink module like N9K-M12PQ, are ports only for uplink connectivity into core/spine nodes or they can be used for south bound 40G connectivity(in NX-OS or ACI mode)?

some data sheet showed the ports could be used as server-direction ports while the latest NX-OS release notes hint users shouldn't do that.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/release/notes/70312_nxos_rn.html

The uplink module should not be removed from a Cisco Nexus 9300 Series switch that is running Cisco NX-OS Release 7.0(3)I1(1). The ports on the uplink module should be used only for uplinks.

Thanks

Hongjun

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hongjun,

Currently,

* In standalone mode (Not ACI) the 40G ports on the 9396/93128 can either be used as uplink ports or hosts ports.

* In ACI mode, the (N9396/93128 switches) 40G ports can only be used for uplinks to the spine switches only.  The 40G cannot be used as uplink to any other network devices/switches (other than the spine). But for the Nexus 9332PQ Switch, the 40G front panel ports can be used to connect to other devices.

I hope this helps

Thanks for using the ACI Cisco Support Forum!

T.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hongjun,

Currently,

* In standalone mode (Not ACI) the 40G ports on the 9396/93128 can either be used as uplink ports or hosts ports.

* In ACI mode, the (N9396/93128 switches) 40G ports can only be used for uplinks to the spine switches only.  The 40G cannot be used as uplink to any other network devices/switches (other than the spine). But for the Nexus 9332PQ Switch, the 40G front panel ports can be used to connect to other devices.

I hope this helps

Thanks for using the ACI Cisco Support Forum!

T.

Hongjun Ma
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Tomas. very helpful.

I hope data sheet and release notes can be more clear on this in the future.

Thanks again.

Hongjun

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License