Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI and MP BGP

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, folks...

Someone emailed me this question and left me totally confused. Can someone make sense out of this question for me? Wondering if my whole understanding of ACI is lacking...

"When I build a fabric using Nexus is the control plane an either/or situation? 

If ACI is my control plane then I don’t use BGP EVPN as control plane and vice versa?

If I still can use BGP EVPN as control plane with ACI do I lose ACI features?"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @visitor68 

The question itself is confusing. ACI is a solution, while BGP EVPN is a protocol.

Nexus can run NXOS (stanadlone mode) or iNXOS (ACI mode) as operating systems.

In NXOS mode, you can build VXLAN fabrics with MP-BGP EVPN as a control plane protocol which provides protocol-based VTEP peer discovery and end-host reachability information distribution 

In ACI mode, the solution is using many protocols as 'control plane': IS-IS - for routing, VXLAN - for traffic tunneling, MP-BGP VPNv4 - for external route exchange, MP-BGP EVPN - for multi-pod/,multi-site endpoints exchange, COOP for EP control in local pod.

Hope it helps..

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @visitor68 

The question itself is confusing. ACI is a solution, while BGP EVPN is a protocol.

Nexus can run NXOS (stanadlone mode) or iNXOS (ACI mode) as operating systems.

In NXOS mode, you can build VXLAN fabrics with MP-BGP EVPN as a control plane protocol which provides protocol-based VTEP peer discovery and end-host reachability information distribution 

In ACI mode, the solution is using many protocols as 'control plane': IS-IS - for routing, VXLAN - for traffic tunneling, MP-BGP VPNv4 - for external route exchange, MP-BGP EVPN - for multi-pod/,multi-site endpoints exchange, COOP for EP control in local pod.

Hope it helps..

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Sergiu! How are you, my friend? Thanks ofr the quick answer. Yes, I agree with everything. I don't understand his question. He makes it sound like he wants to run a Nexus environment with an ACI controller. 

"When I build a fabric using Nexus is the control plane an either/or situation?

If ACI is my control plane then I don’t use BGP EVPN as control plane and vice versa?"

I guess neither one of us could understand what he means here. LOL

Hellooo V. :-)

A bit swamped these days, but overall doing good. I hope you are safe and healthy as well.

"If ACI is my control plane" - yep. Most likely the confusion is, as you mentioned, that the person believes that "ACI" can be used on-demand for controlling the Nexus switches.

Anyway, I am sure you will be able to help him out to clear the confusion and have a better understanding of the ACI :-)

Take care,

Sergiu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License