cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI coexist with NSX-T

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

When NSX-V was the focus from VMware, the ACI can coexist with NSX-V without much concern if company is so choose to. From NSX-V perspective, the ACI provides underlay fabric and VMM integration. Then NSX-V just handles the micro-seg pieces. This was easy and no departments (Cisco vs VMware) within the organization are pissed off (politically or technically)... networking people take care of routing/switch physical or virtual; vmware people takes care of VMs; security people take care of the micro-seg policies...

But now with NSX-T, this kinda coexist is not that clear, right? Especially NSX-T needs the N-DVS instead of DVS...which means there is no VMM integration in this scenario, right? So networking people take care of physical routing/switch and work with vmware people for virtual networking; vmware people takes care of VMs and N-DVS...; security people take care of the micro-seg policies...

2 Replies 2

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7
Hi,

This is an interesting topic, and I have the same question when I studying both SDN solutions. Great to see other experienced user to share more to us.

Server guys tend to use NSX-T, while Network guys tend to use ACI.

But I always think that there is no reason and not beneficial running both ACI and NSX-Tat the same time.

Both NSX-T and ACI is also designed for multi tenancy, as well as mico segmentation... using both in the way of underlay & overlay seems like a waste..

Regarding "reason and benefits running both ACI and NSX-T at the same time", it is more political than technical from my experience...

VMware would say NSX-T is multi-tenancy capable but from my perspective it is not, or at least not the way ACI implements multi-tenancy using VRF. For example, how would NSX-T handle overlapping IP subnets between tenants? This is a typical multi-tenancy requirement The T0/T1 DR architecture in NSX wont solve this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License