Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI DHCP relay / PXE boot not working for VMs

mvknl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

We're running into the following issue. I think it's a weird one. We have performed a migration to ACI and everything works as expected. However, when we reboot a VM and let it boot via PXE it doesn't work. If we use a normal PC in the same EPG it does boot via PXE, so this baffles us a bit.

We have the following setup:

- Infoblox DHCP server

- ESX server is currently connected to a 6500 switch which is connected via static ports to the ACI fabric. The gateway of the VM's is configured inside the ACI fabric

We have tested the physical PC (laptop) directly on a LEAF switch and this works as expected. The same goes for when we connect the laptop to the 6500. So we know DHCP relay is working and the 6500 is not blocking anything.

Some further research showed that the mac address used to forward the DHCP request is 00:00:00:00:00:00 instead of a real MAC address. That might cause issues on the ESX part? Does anybody have experience with this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

richmond
Level 1
Level 1

Could be this bug? 

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvh09693

DHCP Offer is replaced with Src MAC 0 by Agent when sending to Client over a different VPC link
CSCvh09693

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

richmond
Level 1
Level 1

Could be this bug? 

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvh09693

DHCP Offer is replaced with Src MAC 0 by Agent when sending to Client over a different VPC link
CSCvh09693

Hi Richmond,

That might be it. The bug is not listed in any of the release notes however. I'll try to see if I can move the DHCP server to another leaf switch and see whether that helps.

Hi Richmond, It has taken us some weeks to test an upgrade to the fabric, but after upgrading the bug has been fixed. Thanks for your help!

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License