Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI DHCP Relay

iwearing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an EPG configured in a User Tenant with a requirement to access a DHCP server located Externally over a L3Out. The EPG and L3Out are both in the same Tenant-VRF.

I have created a DHCP Relay Provider within the User Tenant with the EPG type set as L3 External Network.

The relevant BD in the User Tenant has been configured to Consume the DHCP Relay Provider.

Hosts within the EPG are unable to obtain DHCP allocated IP addresses.

Hosts within the EPG are able to Ping the DHCP server. ACI Firmware Ver 2.2.2f.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Ian

2 Replies 2

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ian,

* What OS and Version is your DHCP Server running?

* Your DHCP Server needs to support DHCP Option 82

* Please gather a wireshark traces from the DHCP Client and DHCP Server? Does the DHCP Server see the DHCP DISCOVER from Client? Does the DHCP Server Make an OFFER?

FOR ADDITIONAL INFO REFER TO:

TECHNOTE on DHCP Relay in ACI: Overview, Configuration, Troubleshooting, & Caveats\Issues
https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12727046/technote-dhcp-relay-aci-overview-configuration-troubleshooting-caveatsissues

Ask the ACI Experts: DHCP-Relay in the ACI Fabric
https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/13100736/ask-aci-experts-dhcp-relay-aci-fabric

Thank you for participating in the Cisco Support Forum for ACI! If you have other questions related to this post, please let us know. If this response answers your questions, please mark this post "answered" and assign a rating to the response(s) provided. This will help notify other viewers that your question(s) is answered and this helps us provide better responses for this and future questions.

Thank you!

T.

Tomas,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The ACI fabric policies were configured correctly. I had wireshark traces running on the client and the DHCP server. The Server never received the DHCP discovery packets.

As it turned out, DHCP discovery packets were being tested using a MS DHCP utility. When I attached another host onto the fabric configured for DHCP it worked.

All working as expected now.

thanks

Ian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License