cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI EPG VLAN Filter Scalability Issue

melgebal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently the only way to match EPs into an EPG is using VLAN, as we don't have VMM integration to use useg, there are HP enclosures that have limitation of 128 VLANs and we reached that limit, so now we are stuck in creating more EPGs.

Does anyone have any idea about this?

4 Replies 4

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi melgebal,

I'm not familiar with the "HP enclosures" you are referring to, but here are a couple of ideas"

1. If the"HP enclosures" support Q-in-Q (unlikely if they only support 128 VLANs) then you might be able to use that approach, but probably better to...
  2. (assuming you have two uplinks from the "HP enclosure" to the ACI leaf) re-use the same VLAN ID for two different EPGs and send one VLAN/EPG up one link and the other VLAN/EPG up the other.  Of course you would loose fail-over redundancy in this case.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Thanks RedNectar,

Unfortunately we cannot lose redundancy by that way, I am looking for a new filtration rule other than VLAN without VMM Integration.

Hi melgebal,

Re: "a new filtration rule other than VLAN without VMM Integration"

If you have 2nd generation leaf switched (with a -E, -EX or -FX at the end of the model number), you can define microsegmented EPGs based on IP address (or more precisely, IP subnet) or MAC address.

Will that get you out of your jam?

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi RedNectar,

Totally agreed, and that's what I agreed with the VMware team, but there is still one issue, you need to allow the VLAN range on the blade itself (HP/VC or UCS-FI), so we hit the same issue again of the limited number of VLANs on HP enclosures.

I think we are going with the Network Centric approach 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License