Helpful
Replies

ACI Image and FEX to Leaf License

DamianRC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Replacing a 7K environment with 9k.

The 9k gear was purchased with the NXOS image. It was later decided to go with ACI, so two APICs were purchased.

Is the ACI image needed for the 9K gear already on the APIC, or is this a separate license purchase?

The existing environment leverages FEXs, which will be moved over to the 9k leaves. Is a license required for FEX to leaf functionality?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Jayesh Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

1. Recommended APIC Cluster size is with minimum 3 nodes. If you have 2 apics then in case of failure of any one, no changes can be done through one available apic. This is because APIC cluster follows minority and majority principles.

2.1 You need to reimage 9k switches(currently running NX-OS) with ACI image manually. Only after that APIC will be able discover and further take management control of those switches.

2.2 ACI license have to be purchased for each 9k switch that you are planning to use in ACI as leaf.

3. There is a seperate license for FEX in ACI which needs to be purchased.

Regards,

Jayesh

Don't forget to rate posts that are helpful and mark it as a solution if it answers your query. This may help other users having same query.

Thanks for the reply.

So we knew about the the 3 APIC minimum but were told that we could use
two for our installation. It wasn't mentioned that changes wouldn't be
allowed by the surviving APIC. Please confirm that this is true. Perhaps
there is a "hack" or workaround that wasn't pointed out?

Yes, I am prepared to re-image the devices, but I would need the ACI
image to to re-image the gear with. Does this image reside on the APIC
or must it be downloaded from Cisco?

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll bring it to my re-seller's attention.

Thanks for confirming

Hi,

With 2 APICs you can definitely begin but it is not the desired end state. 

While initial setup, APIC cluster size is asked by the APIC, which can be 1, 3 or 5. As per my knowledge APIC doesn't allow cluster size of 2 APIC nodes. You can set the cluster size as 3 and can start configuring the fabric with 2 nodes, but in case of failure of one, no new changes can be done.

Please refer below design guide for your reference which states the same.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/application-centric-infrastructure/white-paper-c11-737909.html

ACI image for Nexus switches have to downloaded from Cisco site for your initial reimaging task, which has to be compatible with the image your APIC will be running. Then you can discover and take the management control of your nexus switches and further upgrades can be done through APIC.

Just additional info:

In ACI there are just 2 images,

1. ISO image for APIC controller

2. bin image for Nexus switches (same image for both leaf and spine)

NX-OS to ACI Imaging steps:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/7-x/upgrade/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Software_Upgrade_and_Downgrade_Guide_Release_7x/Converting_from_Cisco_NX_OS_to_ACI_Boot_Mode.pdf

Regards,

Jayesh

Don't forget to rate posts that are helpful and mark it as a solution if it answers your query. This may help other users having same query.

Thank you.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License