Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI interface description

Ezzedine
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

is there anyway from the GUI to find physical interfaces that belong to a specific description?

something equal to:

#show interface description | i dc

or a command on the leaf?

Best regards

Ezzedine

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Ezzedine 

Initially I would have said you cannot do it from browser directly. However, after reading Chris' extensive and always nice toread explanation about moquery, I remembered that moquery is also GUI based. :-) So my answer now is: yes, you can do it from browser as well:

1. Right click on the port block selector and select Open in Object Store Browser (this is just to be easier in the next step, but you cna actually go directly to http://apic-ip/visore.html )

object_browser.jpg

2. Add the following parameters and click run query:

query.jpg

You will get the outputs Chris mentioned in his post, but without ability to grep them.

Hope this helps,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Ezzedine 

First the interface description is configured under the access port block you select in the interface selectors:

port-block.jpg

If you want to search only on a specific leaf, then you can do it directly from switch CLI:

Leaf101# show interface description  | grep n7k  
 Eth1/23        eth     inherit  n7k                                                
 Eth1/24        eth     inherit  n7k                                                

If you want to search fabric wide, you can do it from APIC, specifying the leaf switches you are interested:

apic1# fabric 101,111 show interface description | grep "Node\|n7k "          
 Node 101 (Leaf101)
 Eth1/23        eth     inherit  n7k                                                
 Eth1/24        eth     inherit  n7k                                                
 Node 111 (Leaf111)

Stay safe,

Sergiu

hello Sergiu,

many thanks for your help.

i did configured the description under the interface selector, i was wondering if i can search for that in the GUI, seems like its not possible isnt?

best regards
Ezzedine

Hi @Ezzedine ,

To follow on from Sergiu's excellent answer, (he may come back with an even better one yet, but he may be in bed by now) - the trick is to use moquery

To find the object that you want with, say n7K in the description use: 

apic1# moquery -c infraHPortS -f 'infra.HPortS.descr*"n7k"'

Given that the output from moquery can be a bit verbose, you can tame it a bit using grep or egrep. Such as:

apic1# moquery -c infraHPortS -f 'infra.HPortS.descr*"n7k"' | grep ^dn

Here's an example I did on my simulator where I have the word Shared in a few descriptions

apic1# moquery -c infraHPortS -f 'infra.HPortS.descr*"Shared"' | grep ^dn
dn : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1201_IntProf/hports-1:8-typ-range dn : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1201_IntProf/hports-1:6..7_FEX-typ-range dn : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1201_IntProf/hports-1:9-typ-range dn : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1202_IntProf/hports-1:6..7_FEX-typ-range

moquery is a little hard to understand - I suggest this google search to find other articles and videos that might help :)

<edit>: I just realised it was the Descriptions you wanted to see too - so try:

apic1# moquery -c infraHPortS -f 'infra.HPortS.descr*"n7k"' | egrep "^dn|^descr"

Here's my example again (note the bash prompt - I'd advise running moquery from bash anyway):

admin@apic1:~> moquery -c infraHPortS -f 'infra.HPortS.descr*"Shared"' | egrep "^dn|^descr"
descr        : Shared External Router. Created as part of lab standard setup
dn           : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1201_IntProf/hports-1:8-typ-range
descr        : Shared access to FEX. Created as part of lab standard setup
dn           : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1201_IntProf/hports-1:6..7_FEX-typ-range
descr        : Connects to Shared Services Server (DNS/DHCP). Created as part of lab standard setup
dn           : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1201_IntProf/hports-1:9-typ-range
descr        : Shared access to FEX. Created as part of lab standard setup
dn           : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1202_IntProf/hports-1:6..7_FEX-typ-range

</edit>

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi @Ezzedine 

Initially I would have said you cannot do it from browser directly. However, after reading Chris' extensive and always nice toread explanation about moquery, I remembered that moquery is also GUI based. :-) So my answer now is: yes, you can do it from browser as well:

1. Right click on the port block selector and select Open in Object Store Browser (this is just to be easier in the next step, but you cna actually go directly to http://apic-ip/visore.html )

object_browser.jpg

2. Add the following parameters and click run query:

query.jpg

You will get the outputs Chris mentioned in his post, but without ability to grep them.

Hope this helps,

Sergiu

@Sergiu.Daniluk  @RedNectar ,

hello Guys,

many thanks for your efforts and help, it was really helpful.

@RedNectar 
thanks a lot , its a little too complicated for an SDN solution when i show such thing to the customer he would probably reconsider having  ACI  :D

Hi @RedNectar ,

Is there any moquery command to know the interface policy group name or information details  for specific accportprof or hports configuration .

dn           : uni/infra/accportprof-Shared:L1201_IntProf/hports-1:8-typ-range

I have tried using below moquery command . Howerver , I am not able to find out interface policy group name against interface selector . 

# moquery -c infraRsAccBaseGrp | grep dn | grep INTERFACE101_PROFILE
dn : uni/infra/accportprof-INTERFACE101_PROFILE/hports-INT_SEL_101_5-typ-range/rsaccBaseGrp

It would be highly appreciated if you reply on this query .

with regards 

Erfan

hello @eahmed.ext 

please try:

#moquery -c infraRsAccBaseGrp -d uni/infra/accportprof-INTERFACE101_PROFILE/hports-INT_SEL_101_5-typ-range

i hope that will help you.
if you still have a question please dont hesitate

regards

Ezzedine

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License