cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI latency measurements - looking for information about

ckaplan
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to understand where and how to best leverage ACIs' new integral packet counters and latency measurements when developing an overall performance monitoring solution.

• Can anyone point me to a document with more detail on how these metrics (latency in particular) are calculated?
    • Is it measuring port to port as just a dumb physical link
    • Is it measuring a tradition 3 way handshake
    • Is it per connection vs. per packet
  • Can I get this data per connection or only averaged over the sample window?

Visibility, latency and atomic counter are mentioned in every doc and PPT I have found, but never with any detail.  I suspect a doc exists will all kinds of info on this, but I can't manage to find it.

Thanks for the pointer

CK

5 Replies 5

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

Just wanted to let you know I have started looking into your question. I'll ask around internally and try and dig up documentation or write something customer facing if there isn't already. It's a very good question but sadly I don't know the answer. 

I am researching and will get back to you. Thanks for posting. Have a nice day!

I was curious if you had uncovered any information about where those ACI performance metrics are measured and how the data is exposed.

Thanks

CK

dpita
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

To answer the question regarding latency. This is what i found out:

Latency measurement is currently not supported for telemetry or health score impact. It is implemented on the fabric solely for load-balanding. 

In the future, from what i understand, each packet will have a latency measure on ingress and egress. 

Hope this helps! Sorry for the late reply!

Hi

It's now 2 years later - has the future arrived ? Is it possible to measure latency on ingress/egress yet ?

thanks

cornec

2020 the future is arrived !!

Now latency can be seen, a matrix one, from leaf to leaf.

Unfortunately, the average value equals the maximum value, with no variance and jitter, with a precision that reaches 1/10 of nanosecond (something like 100.4567us). With ptp the clock precision reaches nanoseconds, so that's not maybe so much strange.

But i see around 106us of latency between devices that are 80km far away from each other. Considering the speed of light of 210.000km/s in the fiber, this gives me 380us of delay. So it looks like, in some way, they have found a way to push the light beyond its limits (Einstein was wrong) !

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License