Helpful
Replies

ACI - License requirement

ju.mahieu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My N9k leaves have been shipped with the following licenses :

ACI-N9K-48X -> ACI software license for a 48-port 1/10G Cisco Nexus 9000 Series switch
ACI-F48G -> ACI SW license for a 48p 1G Nexus 2K

Do you have any informations to install the files ?

And how can I check the license status/usage in ACI ?

Regards,

Ju

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ju,

The Application Centric Infrastructure platform does not use traditional licenses like you would see in the IOS or NXOS platforms. In ACI model, licenses are honor-based for the fabric and are bundled with the product when it's purchased. So if you own the product and purchased it from a valid source, then you are entitled to configure and use it as you wish.

Are you seeing any error messages preventing you from configuring anything?

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ju,

Please check the following for Licensing checklist and install instructions on Nexus 9K

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html#con_24896

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/troubleshooting/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Troubleshooting_Guide/b_Cisco_Standalone_Series_NX-OS_Troubleshooting_Guide_chapter_010.html#reference_38CFBF8379E043548B5A9FB5DC649C51

Manish

Thank you Manish for your answer.

But unfortunately, the two links you provided are related to the 9k running in NX-OS mode , not about the ACI mode.

"show license" is not available on my leaf.

Any other ideas ?

Regards

Ju

Hi Ju,

The Application Centric Infrastructure platform does not use traditional licenses like you would see in the IOS or NXOS platforms. In ACI model, licenses are honor-based for the fabric and are bundled with the product when it's purchased. So if you own the product and purchased it from a valid source, then you are entitled to configure and use it as you wish.

Are you seeing any error messages preventing you from configuring anything?

Manish

Thank you Manish,

Yes, our products have been purchases from a valid Cisco partner and everything works great (No error messages). But I was wondering what I had to do with the licenses key included in the 9k boxes. Good news if I have nothing to do ;-)

Regards,

Ju

Hi Manish

is ACI license coming with permanent or yearly renewal based , can you share the document which explain ACI full Licensing part

Thanks 

snl

There isn't any public doc discussing only ACI licensing in detail. ACI licensing related information can be checked here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-apic/datasheet-c78-732414.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/cloud-infrastructure/at-a-glance-c45-732732.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/software/one-data-center/datasheet-c78-733010.html

Honor-based licenses do not normally need to be renewed annually.

Manish

Hi Manish,

and hi everyone else for that matter,

sorry to warm this post up again but I have a question building up on the discussion so far.

Given that I don't have install or renew the honor based licenses how are they linked to the switches when it comes to support? If a customer happens to connect three FEXes even though they only purchased two licenses and run into a problem how do I as a partner and how does Cisco know if the device affected is actually licensed?

And if I replace a FEX can I "re-use" the old license?

I mean this doesn't even need to be ill intent if we think of a larger scale scenario.

I apologize in advance if the answers should be obvious but I can't really find anything except this discussion.

Kind regards

Nik

Hi Nik,

There is no license on the ACI switches that can be validated. This is because the platform does not use traditional licenses like you would see in the IOS or NXOS platforms. In the ACI model, licenses are honor-based for the fabric and are bundled with the product when it's purchased, as far as i know these licenses are tied to the hardware serial numbers. Cisco expects its partners and customers to buy the relevant new licenses when adding new devices.

HTH

Manish

Thank you for clarification, Manish!

I'm still missing some details but I think I understand it "well enough" now ;)

Regards

Nik

Yes, you don't have to do anything, the licenses comes pre-configured. 

One of the best answers i've read all day long, thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License