Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Licensing - Perpetual vs Subscription

Stefan Tiefel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

does anybody of you have a quick overview what the advantages of the subscription based licensing of an ACI Fabric are?

According to the FAQ the only real thing could be the following, but is there a list of features taht are available in the subscription but not in the perpetual ACI license?

"Faster access to innovation: Company competitiveness is tied to strategic use of innovative technology, and Cisco is increasingly delivering the latest features through subscriptions"

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/software/one-data-center-networking-subscription/nb-06-aci-dc-nw-sub-offer-faq-ctp-en.pdf

What are your recomendations fpr the licencing?

Kind regards

Stefan

5 Replies 5

Stefan Tiefel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again,

I know, here are mostly excellent technical guys but if anybody has a hint I would be very lucky :-)

Kind regards

Stefan

ludovico.panu
Level 1
Level 1

hello the nb-06-aci-dc-nw-sub-offer-faq-ctp-en.pdf link is broken

Amant Sodhi
Level 1
Level 1

i also have similar question. 

Ing suzzy
Level 1
Level 1

Would be very helpfull if anyone can solve this question, i'm working on a quote an N9K-C9332D-GX2B, that according the datasheet could operate as a leaf or spine, but there is a difference when you are working on the quote. if you select the ACI-Leaf mode you could select the subscription but if you select SPINE mode, CCW make you eliminate the subscription and go for a perpetual license... my only concern is if even i choose subscription or perpetual, do i have the option, when the deployment occur, to select any of the mode, do i?

Perpetual is a full up-front investment of a license which is tied to the device for its life (barring a couple exceptions).  Subscription offer recurring value and are transferrable.  So if/when you swap out devices, your subscription can be carried onto the next device.  Typically a 5-year subscription starts to have financial benefits over perpetual.  We are slowly phasing out perpetual licenses.  As of today we only offer DCN Advantage & Premier as perpetual, while Subscriptions offer Essentials, Advantage & Premier.  Most companies in the IT industry are transitioning to subscription based models. 

As for the 9332D, it can function as a Leaf or Spine, but when deployed as a Leaf requires a license.  Spines deployed in ACI are not licensed.

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License