Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Multi-Pod multicast and cost questions

Steev112
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have these question regarding Multicast and cost, if anyone can help?

1. Why the RP multicast only configured in two IPN devices, why not configure over 4 IPN devices?
  2. Do we configure RP on two IPN devices in POD-1 or 2 or better to configure one of device in POD-1 and another one in POD-2? What is the best?
  3. How can I decide the RP is primary or secondary, is it through specific subnet as mentioned in the attached (/32 prefer than /30)?
  4. In Cisco live document, they recommend to increase the OSPF cost, Do we need increase the cost for all the interface faced the spines?
  5. Regarding DHCP relay ip address “ip dhcp relay address 10.101.0.2” how I can get this IP address?
  6. Regarding Vlan4, if the servers used Vlan 4 how can use it for multi-POD in the same time?

thanks in advanced

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

richmond
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steven,

Some responses in-line.

• Why the RP multicast only configured in two IPN devices, why not configure over 4 IPN devices?

You can have as many phantom RPs as you like. Most example configs show 2 as they typically only have 2 IPN devices in lab environments.

• Do we configure RP on two IPN devices in POD-1 or 2 or better to configure one of device in POD-1 and another one in POD-2? What is the best?

Think about redundancy. If you have only two pods and will never grow then it probably doesn't matter as you don't need multicast to work if you lose Pod 1, but what if you expand to a third pod. In this case you will want your RPs spread across sites.

• How can I decide the RP is primary or secondary, is it through specific subnet as mentioned in the attached (/32 prefer than /30)?

Typically we use Phantom RP, and the Phantom IP address is in a subnet that all RPs have configured as a loopback interface (with OSPF network type point-to-point). The length of the mask determines who is the RP for this multicast group range. Long match wins. (When I say is the RP, they are really just the shared reference point for the tree, it isn't PIM Sparse Mode with registers, shared tree, SPT etc).

• In Cisco live document, they recommend to increase the OSPF cost, Do we need increase the cost for all the interface faced the spines?

This would be talking about the fact that the spines are not PIM routers participating in our PIM BiDir. They are IGMP clients and they will not forward multicast between IPN facing interfaces. Therefore you need to increase the OSPF cost on these links to avoid traffic attempting to route between IPN nodes back via a spine. So yes, I would increase the cost on all IPN to spine links to something higher than every possible path between IPN nodes.

• Regarding DHCP relay ip address “ip dhcp relay address 10.101.0.2” how I can get this IP address?

This is the IP of an APIC in Pod 1. The Pod 2 spine needs to have it's DHCP forwarded to an APIC in pod 1 to complete discovery.

• Regarding Vlan4, if the servers used Vlan 4 how can use it for multi-POD in the same time?

VLANs are significant to the switch by default, and the spine is not going to have any of your leaf encap VLANs deployed on it.

Create a new static VLAN Pool with VLAN 4 in it, assign it to a new Routed Domain, assign that to an AEP, and assign that to the Policy Group attached to the Spine interface profile's interface selector. VLAN 4 used for multi-pod will not clash with VLAN 4 being used on a leaf. 

View solution in original post

Assuming your IPN links are 10gbps then cost 100 like you have shown is fine.

I would not increase the cost between IPN nodes as this is the preferred path when an inter site link is down. I also wouldn’t bother increasing the cost on the Spine side just to keep the configuration simple. Doing it on the IPN node side is sufficient provided your IPN link costs are low enough. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

richmond
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steven,

Some responses in-line.

• Why the RP multicast only configured in two IPN devices, why not configure over 4 IPN devices?

You can have as many phantom RPs as you like. Most example configs show 2 as they typically only have 2 IPN devices in lab environments.

• Do we configure RP on two IPN devices in POD-1 or 2 or better to configure one of device in POD-1 and another one in POD-2? What is the best?

Think about redundancy. If you have only two pods and will never grow then it probably doesn't matter as you don't need multicast to work if you lose Pod 1, but what if you expand to a third pod. In this case you will want your RPs spread across sites.

• How can I decide the RP is primary or secondary, is it through specific subnet as mentioned in the attached (/32 prefer than /30)?

Typically we use Phantom RP, and the Phantom IP address is in a subnet that all RPs have configured as a loopback interface (with OSPF network type point-to-point). The length of the mask determines who is the RP for this multicast group range. Long match wins. (When I say is the RP, they are really just the shared reference point for the tree, it isn't PIM Sparse Mode with registers, shared tree, SPT etc).

• In Cisco live document, they recommend to increase the OSPF cost, Do we need increase the cost for all the interface faced the spines?

This would be talking about the fact that the spines are not PIM routers participating in our PIM BiDir. They are IGMP clients and they will not forward multicast between IPN facing interfaces. Therefore you need to increase the OSPF cost on these links to avoid traffic attempting to route between IPN nodes back via a spine. So yes, I would increase the cost on all IPN to spine links to something higher than every possible path between IPN nodes.

• Regarding DHCP relay ip address “ip dhcp relay address 10.101.0.2” how I can get this IP address?

This is the IP of an APIC in Pod 1. The Pod 2 spine needs to have it's DHCP forwarded to an APIC in pod 1 to complete discovery.

• Regarding Vlan4, if the servers used Vlan 4 how can use it for multi-POD in the same time?

VLANs are significant to the switch by default, and the spine is not going to have any of your leaf encap VLANs deployed on it.

Create a new static VLAN Pool with VLAN 4 in it, assign it to a new Routed Domain, assign that to an AEP, and assign that to the Policy Group attached to the Spine interface profile's interface selector. VLAN 4 used for multi-pod will not clash with VLAN 4 being used on a leaf. 

Hi Arch,

Thanks for your assistant, I need more clarifications regarding these points:

1.OSPF cost, i have uploaded the network diagram, i have two PODs, each POD has two IPN devices  and two spines, each IPN device connect to each spine by two links "40G" and between IPN devices two links "10G", in our scenario i need to increase the cost between all the links as shown in the attaches

2. regarding DHCP-Relay IP address, as i know this is VTEP IP address, how can get it by command line or through GUI?

3. regarding Vlan POOL, i will create two pools:

a. Existing pool from vlan 1 - 9999

b. Multipod pool vlan 4

correct me.

Thanks

1. I don't see any attachment, but increase the cost on the 40G links to the spines to something higher than any other path between the IPN nodes. The value to use will depend on the reference bandwidth and the link speeds involved.

2. You can find the APIC IP with "show controller". It is listed under the "Address" column in the output.

3. Yes, two pools each of which is referenced by a different domain and a different AEP above that.

Hi Ric,

sorry, find the attached.

Thanks,

Hi Ric,

Did you see the diagram, and where i have to increase the OSPF cost, and what is the recommended value for this scenario since i will enable following command :

router ospf XX

auto-cost reference-bandwidth 100 Gbps

Thanks

Assuming your IPN links are 10gbps then cost 100 like you have shown is fine.

I would not increase the cost between IPN nodes as this is the preferred path when an inter site link is down. I also wouldn’t bother increasing the cost on the Spine side just to keep the configuration simple. Doing it on the IPN node side is sufficient provided your IPN link costs are low enough. 

Hi Ric, 

Thanks a lot for your reply and appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License