Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI multi-tenancy with Vcenter

roysm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are about to go through a company merger and looking at creating a multi-tenancy environment within our ACI infrastructure. Currently we only use 1 tenant (in addition to the common, Mgmt and Infra tenants of course), where we have a VMM domain to our VCenter server. 

I am wondering, if we create additional tenants, can we connect them to the same VCenter Controller or will ACI complain about it? And if we can connect to the same controller, can I assume that the new tenant would also see all the same list of hypervisors that our current tenant can see?

Thanks in advance.

Roy

3 Replies 3

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Absolutely, you can use the same vmm domain in multiple tenants. The only thing you have to be aware, if you have trunk port groups configured, these are tenant independent.

Take care,

Sergiu

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On the flip side you can also restrict certain VMM domains to certain tenants through the use of Security Domains.  By default, if you don't assign a specific security domain to a VMM domain, then all tenants will have access to it.  This might be useful if you wanted to maintain multiple separate vCenter instances and/or restrict them to certain tenants.  

Robert

AMDT87
Level 1
Level 1

The portgroup names on Vcenter will be named : Tenantname|ap|egp specific when you deploy an epg and bind it to a VMM domain so aci talks to the vcenter api and makes this setup for you. but if you create a Tenant and don't assign an EPG to use VMM domain i don't think it will create that portgroup on the vcenter. it will only create if specified.

You can use secuirty group or make naming of VMM integrations also tenant/customer specific if the new customer will have their own vcenter soliution. you can also consider making "leaf switches" tenant specific so the tenant can have insight into the ACI usage specific to their use. 

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License