Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI MultiPod Remote Spine Discovery

ITforever
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are setting up a multi-pod but not having a luck with discovering anything on the remote side (Pod 2). Our setup is as below:

APIC1/2---LF111/112---SP121/122---N7K_HO_1/2---N7K_BR_1/2---SP221/222---LF211/212

The config is as per below white paper:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/application-centric-infrastructure/white-paper-c11-739714.html

APIC shows remote spines as inactive. Ping from N7K_BR_1/2 to SP221 is successful. But no IGMP Join is seen from the remote spines yet.

Date/Time on Remote Spines 6+ hrs behind. And the cerificate shows n/a.

Where is best to start troubleshooting? Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version is your ACI fabric running?  

What is the version of code your leafs and spines are running in pod2?

what model are your spines in pod2?

Time can be an issue, but I would also make sure that the leaf and spine nodes in POD2 are running a code that is not too far apart from POD1’s version.

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for your reply. All the nodes are running the same code. Factory-reset of spines resolved the problem but I have no idea why :)  It would be good to know what actually happened behind the scene that made it work but it does not seem there is any documentation around it.

Best,

Nik

Where can I see this kind of restriction? I have pod 1 running versión 3.2(1l) and Pod 2 3.0(2n) and I have the same behavior that is described above.

Spine switches are N9364C

Leaf switches are N93120TX

Check this doc:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/2-x/L3_config/b_Cisco_APIC_Layer_3_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_APIC_Layer_3_Configuration_Guide_chapter_010011.html#id_30270

It is mentioned in Guidelines for Setting Up a Multipod Fabric section:
"All Cisco Nexus 9000 Series ACI-mode switches and all of the Cisco Nexus 9500 platform ACI-mode switch line cards and fabric modules support multipod. With Cisco APIC, release 3.1(x) and higher, this includes the N9K-C9364C switch."

So you will need to upgrade for multipod setup.

Cheers,
Nik

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License