cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI port-channel out-of-service

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

New deployment, created the VPC using the quick start (to UCS) and created the VMM integration, which I can see created the DVS.  Created a Tenant/VRF/BD, add an EPG attached to the VMM and changed the guest to the appropriate port-profile, no connection to unitcast gw.  See that the port channels are out-of-service from the Leaf.  I have verified that the aep has the vmm domain associated.  

Please advise,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That usually mean you don't have CDP or LLDP enabled.  From vCenter, on the NICs, can you see CDP/LLDP info?
In the VMM Domain within ACI, ensure you've created a vSwitch policy which dictates which discovery protocol is used (CDP/LLDP).

If you don't see any LLDP/CDP info on the host nic, that's your problem.

vswitchpol.PNG

cdp.PNG

Robert

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yikes.  Not enough info to accurately assist.  Some things to check:

1) Any faults on the Tenant and/or EPG in question? (likely so)

2) Check the Leaf programming.  "show vlan extended" and verify if you see the expected EPG/VLAN programmed on the switch.  If not, see #1.

Let's start there.  You might be missing part of the policy chain.

ACI Policy Relationships.png

Robert

No Faults on the Tenant or the EPG, going to follow your diagram and see what is not connected.

Thanks,

Joe

Everything looks fine from the Policy Chain, but I did notice that there are some faults with VDS and the host:

Operational issues detected on Host: padnetesx5.csi.corp for controller: padnetvcenter.csi.corp with name PAD_NET_VCENTER in datacenter Paducah in domain NETOPS_UCS HpNic: 00:25:B5:1A:00:1D, error: [Could not find adjacency for NIC.]

Is this as a result of the interfaces being out-of-service?

If I remove the host from the VDS the faults clear.

Thanks,

Joe

That usually mean you don't have CDP or LLDP enabled.  From vCenter, on the NICs, can you see CDP/LLDP info?
In the VMM Domain within ACI, ensure you've created a vSwitch policy which dictates which discovery protocol is used (CDP/LLDP).

If you don't see any LLDP/CDP info on the host nic, that's your problem.

vswitchpol.PNG

cdp.PNG

Robert

I don't see any CDP information but the Profile has it enabled.  Is this as a result of the out-of-service or is this the reason for the out-of-service?

This is a UCS enviroment, could something not be correct on the vnic template?  I have used the Vlan Uplinks Manager to assign Vlans 1000-1019 to the port channels that are connected to the ACI fabric.  The Esxi in question has 4 NICs 2 that are for the legacy environment and 2 that are on the ACI environment.

Thanks

Joe

I finally got it going....After I updated the vnic Template to allow for CDP, I rebooted the esix host.  This resolve the issue and now I can see the Endpoint as part of the EPG.

Thanks Robert for all your help,

Joe

Glad to hear!

Robert

@joeharb ,

Well, done - but you should mark your own answer as correct so that others who have the same problem know that it has been solved.  I know it sounds a bit pretentious, but it really does help others

C

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License