Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Ports implementation doubt.

molinait
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone.

I'm new working with ACI. I just implemented a few days ago that technology on a Data Center that runs all the servers in one vlan or subnet.

We configured 1 Application Profile, one Bridge Domain and one EPG. The ports range 1-40 on all Leaf switches are in vlan-1. Also I created I External BD to have connectivity beetween the ACI Fabric and the common network.

But yesterday we realized that there are 2 servers that are in other vlan. So my question is:

Can I use the same port on differente BD and EPG with a different encapsulation? Let's say vlan-2?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi molinait,

Firstly I would avoid using VLAN 1, just because VLAN 1 is univerally known as the default VLAN.

But to answer your question

Can I use the same port on differente BD and EPG with a different encapsulation? Let's say vlan-2

The answer is absolutely YES, all you have to do is make sure that you specify that the port is a Trunk port when you map VLAN-2 to the EPG, just as you would have done when you mapped VLAN-1 to its EPG

However, I have a sneaking suspicion that when you said "VLAN-1" you MAY have meant untagged - which of course is a totally differerent story.

So - IF you meant untagged, then what you will need to do to have both VLAN-2 and untaggged traffic arriving on the same port is:

1. Map the untagged traffic to the EPG using 802.1P encasulation
  2. Map the tagged traffic to the EPG using Trunk encapsulation

I also suggest you search for a cisco aci tutorial that might give you some helpful concepts.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License