Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI Simulator Installation

So I downloaded the ACI Simulator. It´s been available to partners since 10th of Feb.2015. Here is the link if you havent found it yet.

Does anyone know the limitations, can I install it in a home environment? I´ve seen it requires the UCS C220 M3... 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mateja,

I work for Cisco in our ACI solutions support team (TAC).  In the lab I have attempted to install the ISO on a UCS C220-M3 that was not properly programmed with the correct PID and the simulator software did not work.  Errors in the logs were:

6698||14-12-10 10:06:53.485+00:00||proc_app||DBG4||||Simulator is running in baremetal, performing PID Check||../common/src/ifcutils/ifc_pid_check.cc||37
16698||14-12-10 10:06:53.489+00:00||proc_app||ERROR||||Failed to find matching system-product-name||../common/src/ifcutils/ifc_pid_check.cc||97
16698||14-12-10 10:06:53.490+00:00||log||CRIT||||UNCONDITIONAL ASSERT (NOT REACHED!) (0) failed @ ../svc/appliancedirector/src/gen/ifc/mains/./Svc.cc:36
||../common/src/osiris/./core/log/LegacyApi.cc||232
-- Traceback --
[0] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libosiris.so : core_log::TracePrinter::~TracePrinter()+0x2de [0x7fd3ca75f774]
[1] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libosiris.so : core_log::logPrintfRaw(char const*)+0x20b [0x7fd3ca76264b]
[2] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libosiris.so : error::assert_failed(char const*, ...)+0xf4 [0x7fd3ca74f044]
[3] /lib64/libc.so.6 : exit+0xe2 [0x7fd3c2c95de2]
[4] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libifcutils.so : ifcutils::BiosUtils::ApicPidCheck(bool)+0x20e6 [0x7fd3c379c766]
[5] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libsvc_ifc_appliancedirector.so : ifc_appliancedirector::Svc::init(int, char**, unsigned short)+0x9f0 [0x7fd3cb319460]
[6] svc_ifc_appliancedirector.bin : main+0xde [0x7fd3cb7f0a9e]
[7] /lib64/libc.so.6 : __libc_start_main+0xfd [0x7fd3c2c7ecdd]
[8] svc_ifc_appliancedirector.bin : +0x78e9 [0x7fd3cb7f08e9]

Again - you *MUST* use a server sold with the PID APIC-SIM-S.  Bare metal C220-M3 servers are not supported.  Feel free to send me a private message of who at Cisco said it could be deployed on "UCS" and I will follow-up to make sure the hardware requirements are clear.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

The iso is used to upgrade the APIC Sim.  Yes, it comes pre-installed on the HW, but we do occasionally upgrade the APIC Sim software. 

Robert

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

mtimm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The ACI simulator is a hardware/software based product with it's own PID, i.e. you will not have success by installing this into anything but the APIC-SIM-S product.

See table 3 here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/application-centric-infrastructure-simulator/datasheet-c78-733252.html

The release notes cover the limitations:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/release/notes/aci_simulator103_rn.html#pgfId-53249

Thanks,

Mike

Edit:  Make URL's actually link to the pages.

Not really, because now you can download the ISO of this simulator and yes, you need to deploy it on the UCS as an ISO... :( It´s the answer I got from Cisco.

I am not 100% sure on the hardware requirements or some limitation but I am researching it for you. Currently, i can provide you these links to get started:

Release notes for ACI 1.0(2j) Simulator image: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/release/notes/aci_simulator102_rn.html

Installing the ACI Simulator Software: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/simulator/getting-started/b_ACI_Simulator_Getting_Started_Guide/b_APIC_Simulator_Getting_Started_Guide_chapter_010.html

Simulator Getting Started Guide: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/1-x/simulator/getting-started/b_ACI_Simulator_Getting_Started_Guide/b_APIC_Simulator_Getting_Started_Guide_preface_00.html

Hope this helps :)

Hi Mateja,

I work for Cisco in our ACI solutions support team (TAC).  In the lab I have attempted to install the ISO on a UCS C220-M3 that was not properly programmed with the correct PID and the simulator software did not work.  Errors in the logs were:

6698||14-12-10 10:06:53.485+00:00||proc_app||DBG4||||Simulator is running in baremetal, performing PID Check||../common/src/ifcutils/ifc_pid_check.cc||37
16698||14-12-10 10:06:53.489+00:00||proc_app||ERROR||||Failed to find matching system-product-name||../common/src/ifcutils/ifc_pid_check.cc||97
16698||14-12-10 10:06:53.490+00:00||log||CRIT||||UNCONDITIONAL ASSERT (NOT REACHED!) (0) failed @ ../svc/appliancedirector/src/gen/ifc/mains/./Svc.cc:36
||../common/src/osiris/./core/log/LegacyApi.cc||232
-- Traceback --
[0] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libosiris.so : core_log::TracePrinter::~TracePrinter()+0x2de [0x7fd3ca75f774]
[1] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libosiris.so : core_log::logPrintfRaw(char const*)+0x20b [0x7fd3ca76264b]
[2] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libosiris.so : error::assert_failed(char const*, ...)+0xf4 [0x7fd3ca74f044]
[3] /lib64/libc.so.6 : exit+0xe2 [0x7fd3c2c95de2]
[4] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libifcutils.so : ifcutils::BiosUtils::ApicPidCheck(bool)+0x20e6 [0x7fd3c379c766]
[5] /mgmt/usr/lib64/libsvc_ifc_appliancedirector.so : ifc_appliancedirector::Svc::init(int, char**, unsigned short)+0x9f0 [0x7fd3cb319460]
[6] svc_ifc_appliancedirector.bin : main+0xde [0x7fd3cb7f0a9e]
[7] /lib64/libc.so.6 : __libc_start_main+0xfd [0x7fd3c2c7ecdd]
[8] svc_ifc_appliancedirector.bin : +0x78e9 [0x7fd3cb7f08e9]

Again - you *MUST* use a server sold with the PID APIC-SIM-S.  Bare metal C220-M3 servers are not supported.  Feel free to send me a private message of who at Cisco said it could be deployed on "UCS" and I will follow-up to make sure the hardware requirements are clear.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I´ll send you a PM with the details.

[Update: Seems that I can´t send you a PM, could you send me one and I´ll reply with the info you asked?]

On the other hand - I don´t really get why is there even ACI .iso Simulator available for partner download if we can´t use it... because if  we get the APIC-SIM-S, we don´t even need the .iso.

Cheers

The iso is used to upgrade the APIC Sim.  Yes, it comes pre-installed on the HW, but we do occasionally upgrade the APIC Sim software. 

Robert

Ok, now it makes sense... thanks for the clarification.

Too bad... I was really looking forward to testing the OpenStack integration without asking for the 15k additional investment from the financial guys :)

There is an ACI & Openstack Integration demo lab on dCloud.  Ask your local account team - they should be able to give you access so you can run through the Openstack integration and get a sense how to implement & use it.

Robert

Hello,

I've stumbled upon this topic while trying to find out more about ACI simulator. Are there any changes in this respect? Last message is 2 years ago, maybe now it is possible to install it on any server. Or is it still tightly coupled with server?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Danil

Daniel,

The Cisco ACI Simulator is a physical appliance that provides a simulated Cisco ACI environment.

You can find more information in the like provided for the Data Sheet for the Cisco ACI APIC Simulator.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/application-centric-infrastructure-simulator/datasheet-c78-733252.html

Cheers!

T.

If anyone else is facing the similar problem, note that I got am email from Cisco stating the following:

You have to run the simulator on the UCS hardware.

Not what I was hoping for, but... oh well, we might just be getting an UCS for our demo center... 

Not just UCS hardware which could potentially mean many different products.  The requirement is the following product:  APIC-SIM-S

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License