Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI transit L2 forwarding

hamed1900
Level 1
Level 1

H Guys,

How can I use ACI to be a transit for Layer 2 traffic in migration scenario? Can the same EPG L2OUT be on two different leaf switches, if so does the traffic transits the ACI ( getting to ACI from one end and going out to the other side)

Thanks,

Hamed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Hamed,

Very simple answer - Yes!

But in more detail:

How can I use ACI to be a transit for Layer 2 traffic in migration scenario?

You can simply map VLAN IDs to Application EPGs, or, as you suggested, map VLANs to L2 Out EPGs (Bridged Outside Networks)

Can the same EPG L2OUT be on two different leaf switches, if so does the traffic transits the ACI (getting to ACI from one end and going out to the other side)

Yes. You no matter which method you use, you will need to map VLANs on particular ports on each leaf switch.  Once that is done, traffic within VLANs/EPGs will be flowing.  

Just remember that if you are connecting both leaf switches to external switches:

1. Using VPCs is by far the best way to connect the external switches
  2. ACI will pass BPDUs through the fabric, so you could end up with blocked ports on your external switches if you are not careful.

I hope this helps

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi Hamed,

Very simple answer - Yes!

But in more detail:

How can I use ACI to be a transit for Layer 2 traffic in migration scenario?

You can simply map VLAN IDs to Application EPGs, or, as you suggested, map VLANs to L2 Out EPGs (Bridged Outside Networks)

Can the same EPG L2OUT be on two different leaf switches, if so does the traffic transits the ACI (getting to ACI from one end and going out to the other side)

Yes. You no matter which method you use, you will need to map VLANs on particular ports on each leaf switch.  Once that is done, traffic within VLANs/EPGs will be flowing.  

Just remember that if you are connecting both leaf switches to external switches:

1. Using VPCs is by far the best way to connect the external switches
  2. ACI will pass BPDUs through the fabric, so you could end up with blocked ports on your external switches if you are not careful.

I hope this helps

RedNectar
aka Chris Welsh

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License