Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI VM Simulator

LleytonPaul
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

Would like to seek your inputs regarding ACI VM Simulator.

From the link below, it says "The simulator allows you to connect external management entities such as ESX servers, vCenters, vShields, bare metal servers, L4-L7 services, AAA systems, and other physical or virtual service appliances."

How can you connect the ACI VM Simulator to an ESXs server or Bare Metal ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/sw/3-x/simulator/install_vm/b_Cisco_ACI_Simulator_VM_Install_Guide.html#concept_atc_jfx_1bb

13 Replies 13

David Castro F.
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello LleytonPaul,

I hope you are doing great,

For ACI simulator connecting to an existing vCenter, you will required to create a VMM Domain for vCenter on the virtual networking, there has to be reachability between the APIC TEP address and the pertinent vCenter, on the "virtual networking" tab you create the domain, and on the EPG created in your tenant you would select the VMM domain, right here is where the your vswitch configured with this new connections.

Let me know if this was clear, 

keep us posted,

Please qualify all of the helpful answers and mark as answered when aswered.

Thanks,

David Castro,

Hello David,

Thanks for your response. That would do it.

But how about for the actual esxi connection to the leaf ? Like for example i have the dvs/avs on the esxi and needs connections to the leaf which within the ACI VM fabric, is this possible and how ?  

@LleytonPaul Did you manage to make the integration work between ACI and ESXi?

David, I think you were referring to the APIC management address, not a TEP address.

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ensure you understand the expectaions of integration with the Simulator.  It will create a vDS, and push portgroups/EPGs but that's it.  There's no datapath into the "virtual fabric".    You wont have any virtual network connectivity with APIC-managed port groups.  It's really to test the external configuration push and/or API interactions only.

Robert

As per the guide

"The ACI Simulator includes simulated switches, so you cannot validate a data path. The simulator allows you to connect external management entities such as ESX servers, VMware vCenters, vShields, bare metal servers, Layer 4 to Layer 7 services, AAA systems, and other physical or virtual service appliances. In addition, the ACI Simulator allows the simulation of faults and alerts to facilitate testing and to demonstrate features."

It should be possible to attach virtual entities to the simulator to actually test configuration in the fabric?

The virtual entities are communicate via the management plane, not datapath.  The alerts/faults mentioned deal with configuration faults, but not dataplane-based faults/features.   They key point is there's no "datapath" as mentioned. 

So yes, you can test pushing configurations both to the fabric and external systems, but you can't validate the dataplane aspect of it.

Robert

What exactly are the limitations of not being able to validate the dataplane? Does it mean that we're unable to forward pkts through the fabric, therefore we can't test contracts, L2out and L3out?

Correct.  No Dataplane = No endpoint traffic forwarding

What is the recommended practical training for ACI then, if we need to test forwarding? I haven't spend to much time researching ACI labs, but it seems that it's required to purchase physical hardware for this purpose?

If you need to test datapath, then you need access to real HW.  Either through a lab kit (purchased) or Rack Rentals if you're studying.  ACI is a complex technology and not easy to fully virtualize like some other platforms can with CML.

Robert

Hi @Michael Bartholomæussen ,

Learning ACI without ACI kit is like learning to ride a bicycle without a bike.

Learning ACI with just a simulator is like learning to ride a bicycle with a bike without a road to ride on.

But getting access to real kit is a big problem, but probably your best bet is to approach your favourite Cisco Training Partner. Check my bio for a recommended partner in Australia!

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hi everone! I believe that you can take advantage of the Simluator a lot, mainly to familiarize yourself with the interface, with the objects, with the policy standards, with the enormous amount of menus and sub-menus that exist. For those who have a few years of experience only with the CLI interface, the simulator is a great help.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License