cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI ---Why a cluster of Three APIC( aka SDN controller :-))

ajazwani1
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I saw one blog for this but that is locked,so cant comment on that one.

I think recommended cluster of three controllers is high availability. For example you want to migrate the secondary controller to different Hardware , during the migration process , if  primary controller goes off then you wont have control plane info available .Hence the third one to serve the purpose.

During Migration

Controller A ---Goes Down

Controller B -- Migration process

Controller C - Active.

Experts,  comments please

2 Replies 2

Robert Correiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ajazwani1,

You are correct. Three is the minimum number of controllers supported for the APIC cluster due to high availability reasons. For instance, every piece of data in the object model is replicated across the controllers in the cluster, because the cluster acts as a distributed storage and data processing system. Not only does the cluster provide physical redundancy if one APIC goes offline, it also provides database redundancy as well (preventing database corruption).

Why three controllers? Briefly, APICs take advantage of majority and minority concepts. During split brain scenarios (data or availability inconsistencies), an odd number of APICs can allow for a majority (2 APICs communicating), and a minority (an APIC which has lost communication). In this scenario configuration changes can still be made on the APICs part of the majority, while they cannot be made on the APIC in the minority. Whereas, if we started with an even number of APICs it would be very difficult to determine which APIC is part of the majority and which is part of the minority.

For your reference, here's a link to the ACI Troubleshooting Guide which discusses this in detail:

http://aci-troubleshooting-book.readthedocs.org/en/latest/apic.html?highlight=cluster#overview

Hope this helps.

I believe the APIC controller doesn't hold the authority of control plan traffic in ACI, control plane+data Plane is handled by all the leaf/spine switches. MGMT plane holds by the APCI controller if I am not mistaken here. I may be wrong so an expert can Overrule it.  

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License