Views
Helpful
Replies

APCI CIMC Upgrade

roysm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have attempted to upgrade the CIMC firmware of one of our APICs. It was on v.2.0(3i) and we want to to go to v.4 but need to go to v.2.0(4c) first. The upgrade to v.2.0(4c) was successful but now the APIC is in a constant loop rebooting itself. It tries to load the APIC OS but then stops and reboots. We are running ACI v.4.0.

I followed the steps in this post https://community.cisco.com/t5/data-center-documents/apic-cimc-upgrade-procedure/ta-p/3216002

Has anyone seen this before? Have I missed some configuration somewhere?

I have logged a call with TAC but as it is a bank holiday weekend, I'm not expecting anything until Tuesday, so if anyone has seen this before and can advise, I'd be very appreciative

Thanks

Roy

I have also reverted back to the previous firmware but the controller still keeps rebooting. As I have not touched the other 2 controllers, we should still be able to make changes but I want to get this resolved asap. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jayesh

Since my original post, I found another post relating to TPM getting disabled.  was not seeing any of the same messages referring to password or "no key available",  so didn't think it applied. After I saw your reply, I thought I would check it anyway and TPM was disabled. Once enabled, the APIC now reboots and all controllers are back to healthy status.

As I reverted back to the previous firmware, I'm going to attempt the upgrade again and see what happens (ensuring that TPM is enabled).

Thanks

Roy

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jayesh Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Roysm,

There is one issue I am aware about, after CIMC upgrade TPM gets deactivated in BIOS causing the boot issue. In that case it throws some error "no key available" or something.

So you need to reload the APIC and go straight to BIOS (I don't remember the break key) and activate TPM there.

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Jayesh

Hi Jayesh

Since my original post, I found another post relating to TPM getting disabled.  was not seeing any of the same messages referring to password or "no key available",  so didn't think it applied. After I saw your reply, I thought I would check it anyway and TPM was disabled. Once enabled, the APIC now reboots and all controllers are back to healthy status.

As I reverted back to the previous firmware, I'm going to attempt the upgrade again and see what happens (ensuring that TPM is enabled).

Thanks

Roy

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License