cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC interface eth1/2 goes down

cowser1979
Level 1
Level 1

I see this same issue across my prod and lab fabrics on all APICs (clusters of 3) - 

Properties
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a known issue & normal.   We bugged this as CSCuv63617 & CSCux62176 which should be fixed as of 1.2(1j).

This fault can be manually removed on earlier versions not yet patched.

Steps to Disable eth1/2 port on an APIC using the CLI.

(credit Tomas De Leon)

The following procedure is written against Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Version: 1.1(1o)NOTE: As of 1.2(1i), the object model was changed to make eth1-2 "Read Only" and not configurable.

Procedure:

1. Access the CLI of the APIC (use SSH or KVM console access)
  2. Check to see if a FAULT F0103 is still present and associated with eth1/2 port being down.  Use the “show faults” command.
  3. Change directory to “/mit/topology/pod-1/node-1/sys/cphys-[eth1–2]
  4. Use the command “cat summary” to verify the “adminSt” is “up” and the “operSt” is “down” for eth1/2.
  5. Use  “MO” CLI commands to change the eth1/2 port’s “adminSt” to “down”  (moset & moconfig).
  6. Use the command “cat summary” to verify the “adminSt” is “down” and the “operSt” is “down” for eth1/2.
  7. Check to see if FAULT F0103 has been cleared. Use the “show faults” command. You may need repeat the command a couple times while the Fault is transitions states.

Robert

View solution in original post

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is normal.  Please look at attached Document for removal of fault.

This fault is commonly seen in ACI deployments since most installs do not utilize eth1/2 port.  Unfortunately, Fault F0103 is raised as a major fault.

For Example:  F0103 - Physical Interface eth1/2 on Node 1 is now down 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a known issue & normal.   We bugged this as CSCuv63617 & CSCux62176 which should be fixed as of 1.2(1j).

This fault can be manually removed on earlier versions not yet patched.

Steps to Disable eth1/2 port on an APIC using the CLI.

(credit Tomas De Leon)

The following procedure is written against Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Version: 1.1(1o)NOTE: As of 1.2(1i), the object model was changed to make eth1-2 "Read Only" and not configurable.

Procedure:

1. Access the CLI of the APIC (use SSH or KVM console access)
  2. Check to see if a FAULT F0103 is still present and associated with eth1/2 port being down.  Use the “show faults” command.
  3. Change directory to “/mit/topology/pod-1/node-1/sys/cphys-[eth1–2]
  4. Use the command “cat summary” to verify the “adminSt” is “up” and the “operSt” is “down” for eth1/2.
  5. Use  “MO” CLI commands to change the eth1/2 port’s “adminSt” to “down”  (moset & moconfig).
  6. Use the command “cat summary” to verify the “adminSt” is “down” and the “operSt” is “down” for eth1/2.
  7. Check to see if FAULT F0103 has been cleared. Use the “show faults” command. You may need repeat the command a couple times while the Fault is transitions states.

Robert

thanks guys - to be clear I am running 2.0(2f) - just upgraded yesterday.  I will take a look at your doc and see if it clears up.

thanks

Thanks!  that seems to have cleared up my issue, on both fabrics.

thanks!

I am glad that the workaround resolved your faults.  I would like to ask are favor since I see that you use the Cisco Support Community often.  We would appreciate if you would rate and mark your questions answered if you are provided a resolution from our contributors.  What this does is let other viewers know that an appropriate resolution or answer has been given to the question that was posted.  This helps other users that may have ran into the similar issue.

Thanks again for using the Cisco Support Community for ACI.

T.

will do!

As an alternative, we found that plugging in a RJ45 loopback plug worked; as did our final solution of wiring eth1/2 on each APIC back to the mgmt switches.

Cheers

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is normal.  Please look at attached Document for removal of fault.

This fault is commonly seen in ACI deployments since most installs do not utilize eth1/2 port.  Unfortunately, Fault F0103 is raised as a major fault.

For Example:  F0103 - Physical Interface eth1/2 on Node 1 is now down 

wilhelm.putz
Level 1
Level 1

In recent releases (2.3) this issue is still there, and it is not possible to apply the workaround (it seems that the mo is ro again). Did I miss any documentation how to fix or workaround that?

wilhelm.putz
Level 1
Level 1

In recent releases (2.3) this issue is still there, and it is not possible to apply the workaround (it seems that the mo is ro again). Did I miss any documentation how to fix or workaround that?

Hello!

The problem is still there for 3.0.1k

Cheers

Alexei.

The issue is present on the most recent firmware as of this writing -  4.1(1j).

And looking at it under System -> Controllers -> Controllers -> Node-1 -> Interfaces: I see that eth1-1 and eth1-2 are bonded. They are pushing you to use redundant connections if you have a true Out-of-Band network to connect them to. That is gonna be our fix I guess.2019-05-10_17-40-22.jpg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License