cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-SERVER-M2 / C220M4 Replacement Suggestions

a12288
Level 3
Level 3

We are running APIC-SERVER-M2 which is C220 M4, they are close to end of life and we need to refresh them, the C220 M5 will be the direct replacement but my concern is that considering C220 M5 is 4 years old so the remaining life span might be considerable short, if we choose C220 M5 now and likely we will need to refresh them in the near future.

I heard M6 will be available soon, will it worth to wait? 

Is anyone running C220 M4 APIC, like to hear what your thoughts are? Thanks.

Leo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The next-gen APIC will be based on the UCS C240/C220 M6 (not the 225/245 as these are AMD variants).  In terms of support & replacement, we expect the APIC-M4/L4s to become available in the first quarter of 2022 barring no unforeseen delays.  Though the M6 C-series were announced/released this summer, there's lots of qualification that needs to happen on the ACI application side now for it to be validated as an APIC appliance.    

With chip shortages etc. many lead times have grown - not just for Cisco but all vendors.  Keep this mind when thinking about when to start your next refresh/procurement cycles.  We've also extended the software support on the M2/L2 APICs to provide some additional runway before it goes end of SW support.  The 2nd Gen APICs (M2/L2) will have full support throughout the 5.2 ACI software release train.

Robert

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

vv0bbLeS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are running C220 M4's in our ACI environment. I suppose it depends on how long we would have to wait for the M6 to be available. I would prefer to wait for the M6 so I only have to do an APIC swap once and get more life out of them. However, I also have to consider my company's compliance standards, such that if it will be another 2 years before the M6 is released (and then actually getting one in our hands b/c of chip shortages), am I able to wait those extra 2 years from a compliance standpoint or not.

I am also considering cost, so would I rather pay for both the M5 now and then in a few more years pay for the M6 when the M5 goes EOL, or would I rather just wait and only have to pay for the M6 (again, compliance rules may dictate how long you can wait).

EDIT: I see that the C245 M6 was released in June 2021. I'm assuming this would be the M6 that will eventually replace the M5?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c245-m6-rack-server/model.html

0xD2A6762E

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The next-gen APIC will be based on the UCS C240/C220 M6 (not the 225/245 as these are AMD variants).  In terms of support & replacement, we expect the APIC-M4/L4s to become available in the first quarter of 2022 barring no unforeseen delays.  Though the M6 C-series were announced/released this summer, there's lots of qualification that needs to happen on the ACI application side now for it to be validated as an APIC appliance.    

With chip shortages etc. many lead times have grown - not just for Cisco but all vendors.  Keep this mind when thinking about when to start your next refresh/procurement cycles.  We've also extended the software support on the M2/L2 APICs to provide some additional runway before it goes end of SW support.  The 2nd Gen APICs (M2/L2) will have full support throughout the 5.2 ACI software release train.

Robert

Decoder ring in case anyone is confused:

First Gen APICs (EoS/EoL):

APIC-Server-M1  - based on UCS C220-M3 platform
APIC-Server-L1  -  based on UCS C240-M3 platform

Second Gen APICs (EoS/EoL):

APIC-Server-M2  - based on UCS C220-M4 platform
APIC-Server-L2  -  based on UCS C240-M4 platform

Third Gen APICs (Current Gen):

APIC-Server-M3  - based on UCS C220-M5 platform
APIC-Server-L3  -  based on UCS C240-M5 platform

Fourth Gen APICs (not yet available):

APIC-Server-M4  - will be based on UCS C220-M6 platform
APIC-Server-L4  -  will be based on UCS C240-M6 platform

Thanks Robert.

We are considering upgrading to 5.2 with our APIC-SERVER-M2 platform.

"...We've also extended the software support on the M2/L2 APICs to provide some additional runway before it goes end of SW support.  The 2nd Gen APICs (M2/L2) will have full support throughout the 5.2 ACI software release train. ..."

Few questions:

1. Can you share us a link to mention about M2/L2 extension? 

2. What is the difference between APIC-SERVER-M2 and APIC-M2? according to this URL APIC-SERVER-M2 "There is currently no replacement product available for this product."

3. What will be life span of APIC-M4 (Based on UCS M6 platform)? I attended a UCS CCP and learned UCS M7 is on horizon. 

Leo

I linked to the EoS/EoL notice above.  From there you'll see the M2's have an extended date for Vulnerability & Security support of June 2022.  In terms of TAC support you still have up to June 2024 on this platform.

The APIC-Server-x2 and APIC-x2 are used interchangeably.  This just means there's no replacement HW for that same PID.  It's a new PID that would replace it.

I can't say for sure what the lifespan of the APIC-M4's will be, but you can deduce what it should at Min. by looking at the replace dates of the M1/M2s and their corresponding EoS/EoL dates.  Typically new server platforms are released every 2-3 years. 

Robert

Hi Robert

We have several customer asking about the release of M4 clusters, since the end of security update for the M2 cluster is end of security supprt June 2022. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-apic/eos-eol-notice-c51-742143.html. Can you perhaps elaborate on the release date or set support expectations for those customer who do not like to run software without the possibility of security updates.

The 2nd Gen APICs will maintain Security & Vulnerability support throughout the 5.2 release.  As long you keep the 2nd Gen APICs in this release train, you will be covered by these patches.  The assumption is that customers will migrate from M2 > M4s as soon as they're released.  We will update the EoL milestone doc accordingly.

Robert

Ezzedine
Level 1
Level 1

hello @Robert Burns ,

i can see that the APIC-L4 is in CC available to order now and they are about 30% more expensive than the APIC-L3.
but there is no details about the hardware specs.
i could find the UCS 240 M6 specs, but its not telling how it will be configured as APIC.
is there any refrence for the Road Map or comperison or data sheed for APIC-L4?

best Regards.
Ezzedine

Ezzedine - The datasheet will be posted once the appliance goes GA.  The 4th Gen APICs are AMD based systems, which are based on the C225 M6 platforms.

Specs are as follows:
AMD 48 threads @ 2.8Ghz, 128M cache
16G DDR4 DIMMs memory @ 3200Mhz (32G DIMMs for Large)
960G SSD drives (1.3TB NVMe drives with Large, No more spinning disks on either size appliance)
2 x 10G-T LOM interfaces
1 x 1G Management (IMC) interface
2 x 100GbE mLOM interfaces 

Robert

Ezzedine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @Robert Burns ,

thank you for the quick replay.

what do you mean with "goes GA"?
i found it in the CC and  it can be delevered in 14 Days and in the design guide its mention though here

- ist actually UCS 240 M6 or UCS 225 M6?

i apreciate your help

It's still on a Pre-Launch Hold (PLH).  GA = General Availability.  Sure you can place orders, but its not shipping yet.

Both the APIC-M4 and APIC-L4 are based on the UCS C225 M6S.

Robert

Ezzedine
Level 1
Level 1

hello @Robert Burns 

thank you very much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License