Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC unable to discover directly connected leaf

ericbkchng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've just hooked up a leaf (9396PX) to the APIC appliance and did the initial setup of the APIC via the console; however, the APIC was unable to discover the leaf switch when I checked in the GUI under Fabric --> Inventory --> Fabric Membership.

Could I get some suggestions on why this is happening? The interface on the 9396PX shows up as being "out-of-service" as seen below:

(none) login: admin
********************************************************************************
     Fabric discovery in progress, show commands are not fully functional
     Logout and Login after discovery to continue to use show commands.
********************************************************************************
(none)# 
(none)# 
(none)# show int e1/1
Ethernet1/1 is up (out-of-service)
admin state is up, Dedicated Interface
  Hardware: 1000/10000/auto Ethernet, address: fc5b.39f7.fc0f (bia fc5b.39f7.fc0f)
  MTU 9000 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 1 usec
  reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, medium is broadcast
  Port mode is trunk

(none)# show int e1/1 trans

Ethernet1/1
    transceiver is present
    type is 10Gbase-SR
    name is Intel Corp      
    part number is AFBR-703SDZ-IN2 
    revision is G2.3
    serial number is AD1406A0260     
    nominal bitrate is 10300 MBit/sec
    Link length supported for 50/125um OM2 fiber is 8 m
    Link length supported for 62.5/125um fiber is 3 m
    Link length supported for 50/125um OM3 fiber is 300 m
    cisco id is --
    cisco extended id number is 4

Thank you so much for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Eric,

Thank you for using the Cisco Support Forum. From the information that you have provided it appears you are using an unsupported transceiver which may be the issue.  Please try to use a Cisco Supported transceiver and retest the connection and let is know how it goes.

name is Intel Corp      

Please refer to the enclosed link and look at the Nexus 9000 Series (ACI) section of the matrix.

Cisco 10-Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html

Have a nice day!

T.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Eric,

Thank you for using the Cisco Support Forum. From the information that you have provided it appears you are using an unsupported transceiver which may be the issue.  Please try to use a Cisco Supported transceiver and retest the connection and let is know how it goes.

name is Intel Corp      

Please refer to the enclosed link and look at the Nexus 9000 Series (ACI) section of the matrix.

Cisco 10-Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver Modules Compatibility Matrix

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html

Have a nice day!

T.

Hi Tomas,

I have successfully resolved the issue by changing the Intel SFP on the APIC to a Cisco one.

So, the leaf switch is using an Intel SFP, and the APIC is using a Cisco SFP, and it works fine.

Thank you for your help!

Eric

KRIS PATE
Level 4
Level 4

I am not sure if you are having the same problem I did, but mine was fixed by disabling LLDP on the VIC in the CIMC of the APIC.

Once I disabled it and rebooted the fabric discovery happened immediately.

To disable LLDP open up the CIMC Web Gui and go to Inventory.

Select the VIC tab and then edit the properties.  You will be able to deselect LLDP.

Hi,

My apologies, but I couldn't find the place to deselect LLDP anywhere in the GUI.

Here is what it looks like on mine. If you don't get the option then you might need to upgrade the CIMC firmware and VIC firmware.

Hi there, I am facing a similar issue as above and do not have an option to disable the LLDP feature. Can you comment on what version CIMC you're using. It should also be noted that I am using the VIC1225T adapter, which I was assuming to be similar to yours.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Vince

I think I had to disable LLDP from the CLI.

1)scope chassis
2)show adapter
3)scope adapter 1
4)show details t
5)set lldp disabled

If you want to lookup up the case notes it was SR 633510169

From the APIC, please capture:

• version
  • acidiag verifyapic
  • ethtool -i eth2-1

From the Leaf, please capture:

• show lldp neighbors

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License