cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC upgrade failure from 4.2(3L) to 5.2(2F)

vv0bbLeS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am working on opening a TAC case on this, but I was also curious if anyone in the community has had any issues upgrading their ACI fabric to the current newest version 5.2(2f) ? I tried updating our lab ACI fabric from 4.2(3L) to 5.2(2f) yesterday evening and during the APIC upgrade portion, which is of course the first stage of the upgrade, 2 of the APIC's (APIC1 and APIC2) failed to upgrade with the status message Firmware version not compatible , and the 3rd APIC (APIC3) actually dropped from the cluster completely (still has not come back).

Before I started the upgrade, I had read the Upgrade/Downgrade Installation Guide for 5.2, as well as the official Compatibility Matrix, and a Direct Upgrade from 4.2(3) to 5.2(2) is the recommended path, so that's what I did.

Also, the Controller's storage was at 50% or below after copying the upgrade files to them, so they should've had plenty of space for the upgrade.

The only thing I wonder that may have caused an issue is that APIC's 1 and 3 are running the recommended CIMC firmware version of 4.1(2b), while APIC2 is running CIMC firmware version 4.0(2g) (I didn't catch that until after the upgrade, d'oh). But I'm not sure if 4.0(2g) would cause that big of an issue?

I'm thinking that may not have caused the issue, as the official error description from the Fault seems to indicate an issue with going to the Desired Version of 5.2(2f) :
Fault delegate: Controller 1 of fabric LAB-FABRIC with a hostname apic1 failed to upgrade to apic-5.2(2f). The upgrade has an upgrade status of Failed Due to Incompatible Desired Version - Failed to create FwHeader object.. The failure occured at the Updating Grub/efiboot Boot Manager stage of the install.

0xD2A6762E
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I realized I never updated this thread with the findings from the TAC Case. It turns out that the APIC image in the APIC firmware repository was corrupted, which caused the upgrade to fail.

TAC advised that you can verify the MD5 checksum manually before the upgrade, which I did the 2nd time around and was able to get the upgrade to succeed.

The method for verifying the MD5 checksum in ACI was given in another forum post by Thomas de Leon:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/data-center-documents/totd-how-to-verify-the-quot-md5-checksum-quot-for-aci-images-in/ta-p/3164507 

0xD2A6762E

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Typically a minor IMC firmware mismatch like that shouldn't impact an upgrade.   Others can chime in with their experience, but my suggestion would be to let TAC run through the logs and see why it failed.  It's the only surefire way to know where the upgrade failed & why.

Robert

@Robert Burns  OK great, thanks for your reply! Yes I will definitely be working with TAC on this one, and will leave this thread open for now so I can post my findings from TAC once I have them. Very interested why this one failed (have had good experiences with ACI upgrades in the past).

0xD2A6762E

I realized I never updated this thread with the findings from the TAC Case. It turns out that the APIC image in the APIC firmware repository was corrupted, which caused the upgrade to fail.

TAC advised that you can verify the MD5 checksum manually before the upgrade, which I did the 2nd time around and was able to get the upgrade to succeed.

The method for verifying the MD5 checksum in ACI was given in another forum post by Thomas de Leon:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/data-center-documents/totd-how-to-verify-the-quot-md5-checksum-quot-for-aci-images-in/ta-p/3164507 

0xD2A6762E

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License