cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Attached Device Type - Change from Bare Metal to ESX

darreng
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to change the setting of the Attached Device Type (Fabric/Access Policies/Switch Policies) via the APIC from Bare Metal to ESX without deleting and re-creating the config on the ports the setting is applied to.

Many thanks.

Darren

5 Replies 5

aleccham
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Darren

You should be able to add your Vmm domain to your AEP used on those ports.

Regards,

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Yes it is possible to use the same Access Policy Chain for Bare Metal Hosts and ESXi Hosts, just the same as it is possible to use the same settings on a switch port for both.

1. First check the Interface Policy Group (ie the Access Port Policy Group, the Port Channel Interface Policy Group or the Virtual Port Channel Interface Policy Group) that you will be using for the attachment.
    1. Make sure it does not have a policy that disables LLDP because ACI needs LLDP to discover the identity of the VDS on your ESXi Host (assuming you are using VMWare's VDS)
  2. When you create your Virtual Machine Management (VMM) Domain, make sure you associate it with the same AEP as you used for the Bare Metal Hosts.

I suggest you do a Google search for aci tutorial access policy model

Chris Welsh [aka RedNectar]

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

As a side note he could also Pre-provision the VMM domain, which removes the requirement of LLDP from the vSwitch. 

This would just immediately deploy the VLANS without waiting for the LLDP connection to be established with the loose node or vSwitch.

Thank you Aleccham,

If this doesn't sync up when I add the AEP back into the VMM Domian I'll give this a try.

Regards

Darren

Thank you Chris,

I note the AEP was missing from under the VMM Domain (not sure how or why). I'll re-create this tomorrow and try again as it doesnt' give me the option to add it back via Actions.

The VPC and LLDP policies were corectly set.

Regards

Darren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License