Helpful
Replies

Block SSH traffic from outside to leaf and spine

Adhiputra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We have configured oob address for our apic and leaf+spine,

Is there a way to block ssh traffic from outside to leaf and spine while connection to apic is still allowed?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Adhiputra ,

Ok. Then that makes sense now - if you go through the APIC you avoid the problem!

So I guess the only answer is to add an ACL on the OOB default gw router - i.e. do the filtering BEFORE traffic gets to ACI.

The OOB EPG is a special EPG in the mgmt tenant, and doesn't have all the features of a normal EPG (no micro-sementation for instance) so I don't see a way of filtering the traffic within ACI

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Adhiputra ,

I fail to see the point of blocking ssh traffic from outside to Leaf/Spine while leaving access to the APIC, because you will NEVER be able to stop someone from:

1. ssh to APIC
  2. ssh form APIC to Leaf/Spine

IF you succeed in your design, you are just forcing one more step to get the ssh session to the Leaf/Spine, NOT preventing all access

So my advice is: Don't even try to stop ssh traffic to OOB Leaf/Spine addresses.

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem.

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Hello Chris

Thanks for replying

The reason for this is because we found that, on ACI version that we are using, ssh hmac-sha1 cannot be disabled on SPINE and LEAF , even tough we have removed it on fabric policy
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvu80658

because it doesn't comply with our client security policies 

I was thinking to block or disable ssh as a temporary workaround as we cannot upgrade it yet

Regards

Hi @Adhiputra ,

Ok. Then that makes sense now - if you go through the APIC you avoid the problem!

So I guess the only answer is to add an ACL on the OOB default gw router - i.e. do the filtering BEFORE traffic gets to ACI.

The OOB EPG is a special EPG in the mgmt tenant, and doesn't have all the features of a normal EPG (no micro-sementation for instance) so I don't see a way of filtering the traffic within ACI

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License