Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't break out of the (none)# prompt on a Nexus9000 C93108TC-EX

macgyver0099_1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade and configure my Nexus9000 C93108TC-EX. However the device boots directly into some kind of sub IOS and shoots straight into a "(none)# prompt. I tried to break out of it using several different methods found on the Internet, as well as attempting to boot from an IOS from my USB flash drive. I also tried a procedure I found that encompassed the below commands to no avail.

(none)# dir bootflash (none)# setup-bootvars.sh <aci_image.bin>

My question, therefore, is what do I need to do to get this thing to regular configuration mode so I can upgrade the IOS and configure it for production?

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

gmonroy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

macgyver0099_1,

Could you supply a "show version" for clarification?

Also a few points:

Hopefully this gives you some direction.

-Gabriel

View solution in original post

ACI to NXOS

keep hitting CTRL+C after a switch reload to get to loader> prompt.

then tftp is sometimes the easiest solution and you don't have to be on site:

loader>boot tftp://username@x.x.x.x/nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin (I've seen where the BIOS is too old and you will get an image error while decompressing, then use an nxos6 version first)

I find booting from USB challenging since USB enumeration seems different per platform and I usually not on site.

syntax possibilities:

boot usb:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

boot usb0:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

boot usb1:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

boot usb2:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

If you are trying to join an ACI fabric the leaf cannot be running software higher that the controllers but could be bellow the controllers a few minor revisions. Same instructions but boot an ACI image. (ps you will have to upgrade the EPLD manually if they are not at the proper level).

• Leaf/Spine firmware/EPLD version should match the APICs before they can join a fabric. If you need to upgrade or convert to ACI manually go with version N -1 to auto upgrade EPLD with GUI.
    • apic1#bash
    • admin@apic1:~> version
    • admin@apic1:~> moquery -c firmwareCompRunning | grep -E "dn|expectedVer|version"
    • leaf1# moquery -c firmwareRunning
    • leaf1# cat /mnt/pss/installer_detail.log | grep -E "Compatibility|New-Version|FPGA"
    • leaf1# /bin/check-fpga.sh FpGaDoWnGrAdE

cheers

did you try booting from USB or from tftp server?

loader>set ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

loader>set gw x.x.x.x

loader>boot tftp://username@x.x.x.x/nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

or

loader>boot usbx:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin (x could be 0, 1, 2)

Thanks so much. It was just syntax, as usb1 worked

13 Replies 13

gmonroy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

macgyver0099_1,

Could you supply a "show version" for clarification?

Also a few points:

Hopefully this gives you some direction.

-Gabriel

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  I was able to get to the loader> prompt, but not further.  The document seems to be at least, in part, aimed at the modular version of the Cisco Nexus 9000.  This is a standalone switch.  The version is of ACI that it is now borrowing from flash is aci-n9000-dk4.12.0.2m.bin.  I could not get it to boot the NX-OS on my flash drive.

macgyver0099_1,

Can you clarify what your goal is? Is it to get it to a standalone NXOs version? Also you mention that it is unable to boot into the NXOS version, can you share which cmd and what the output was that you saw indicating that it would boot into the NXOS version you specified?

-Gabriel

ACI to NXOS

keep hitting CTRL+C after a switch reload to get to loader> prompt.

then tftp is sometimes the easiest solution and you don't have to be on site:

loader>boot tftp://username@x.x.x.x/nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin (I've seen where the BIOS is too old and you will get an image error while decompressing, then use an nxos6 version first)

I find booting from USB challenging since USB enumeration seems different per platform and I usually not on site.

syntax possibilities:

boot usb:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

boot usb0:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

boot usb1:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

boot usb2:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

If you are trying to join an ACI fabric the leaf cannot be running software higher that the controllers but could be bellow the controllers a few minor revisions. Same instructions but boot an ACI image. (ps you will have to upgrade the EPLD manually if they are not at the proper level).

• Leaf/Spine firmware/EPLD version should match the APICs before they can join a fabric. If you need to upgrade or convert to ACI manually go with version N -1 to auto upgrade EPLD with GUI.
    • apic1#bash
    • admin@apic1:~> version
    • admin@apic1:~> moquery -c firmwareCompRunning | grep -E "dn|expectedVer|version"
    • leaf1# moquery -c firmwareRunning
    • leaf1# cat /mnt/pss/installer_detail.log | grep -E "Compatibility|New-Version|FPGA"
    • leaf1# /bin/check-fpga.sh FpGaDoWnGrAdE

cheers

Thank you.  This actually did the trick.  I was just attempting to apply the procedure using usb1 instead of usb2, which is how it was showing up in the directory.  Once the correct drive was identified, the procedure worked like a charm.  Thank  you for all of your assistance.

I received a replacement 9k, which came with NXOS code. When I installed the NXACI image, it's in the bootflash as n9000-dk9.13.1.1i.bin.crdownload

I'm now stuck at the loader prompt. I'm unable to install new image, or boot, from usb, or any other method. I'm trying to install n9000-dk9.13.0.2n.bin

did you try booting from USB or from tftp server?

loader>set ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

loader>set gw x.x.x.x

loader>boot tftp://username@x.x.x.x/nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin

or

loader>boot usbx:nxos7.0.3.I5.2.bin (x could be 0, 1, 2)

Thanks so much. It was just syntax, as usb1 worked

Yeah, that was the problem I had.  I didn't check to see what usb# the Nexus was using.  Once I changed it to USB2 in my case, everything worked lightning quick.

Thanks again. What steps should I take to ensure that it will boot from my new image?

I believe it's
leaf# setup-bootvars.sh aci-n9000-dk9.11.0.1d.bin
The firmware must be in /bootflash

I usually boot from one minor revision behind what I have on APIC the use the APIC to upgrade to the version I'm running in prod. This takes care of all like boot variables and epld upgrades...

This helped me too! Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License