cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot FTP from one EPG to another

MattMiller4305
Level 1
Level 1

Two EPGs in the same application profile where I need to allow FTP from one EPG to another. I have the following filter in place with provider contract on the server side, consumer contract on the client side:

Untitled.jpg

I have tried every combination of turning statefull on and off, as well as setting or not setting the data filter's source port. The control connection opens, but any data transfer ports are not allowed.

What am I missing?

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @MattMiller4305 ,

First of all, FTP is difficult program to filter, firstly because it uses two connections, ans secondly because it may use the data connection in PASSIVE mode.

The filter you show is almost correct if you are NOT using passive mode FTP (i.e. ACTIVE mode)

But you need to change the destination port in the data filter to unspecified.

If you are using FTP passive mode, you need to change the source AND destination port in the data filter to unspecified, and (recommended) set the filter to staeful. (I.e. open all TCP ports from the consumer to the provider EPG).  Which, by the way shows a MASSIVE drawback of ACI - for all the song-and-dance made about it being an APPLICATION centric infrastructure, when it comes down to it, it knows nothing about applications apart for TCP/UDP port numbers (and protocol numbers for IP, ethertype for all others).

And FWIW, you COULD make the control filter stateful if you want, but the data filter (for non-passive) needs to be not stateful.

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License