Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing VLAN Pool during Production

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hey Folks,

I have an issue where I would need to remove one VLAN from a VLAN Pool which is used by two productive VMM Domains.. don't ask me why..

I already checked that the desired VLAN is NOT used by any existing Port-Group right now, so that seems nice.

The only way to get it out of the VLAN Pool seems to create another VLAN Pool in which the desired VLAN does not exist... and then change the VLAN Pool of the two VMM Domains to the newly created one, then delete the "old" one..

Has anyone done someting like that before and knows if that would cause a disruption for the VMs?

Actually nothing of the "operational" config would be changed in the end...

Thanks and best regards
Juls

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is purely a dynamic VLAN pool (used for VMM)?

Robert

Hey Robert,

yes this is a purely dynamically allocated VLAN Pool, used by two VMM Domains.

Juls

So the process as you described.  Create the new VLAN pool with the appropriate ID blocks, then re-config each VMM domain for the new VLAN pool.  As these are Dynamic by nature, all Port Groups on vCenter will likely get assigned new VLAN IDs, Though the change should be very quick, anytime we have to change VLAN IDs & re-program EPGs there's going to be a minor disruption.  This shouldn't be anything that TCP shouldn't be able to handle however I would still recommend making this change during a maint. window to avoid any impact - especially since this is a production environment.

Robert

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License