Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACI connectivity to Palo Alto Firwall Active/Standby mode

Shahin901
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am designing ACI connectivity to Palo Alto firewall in Active/Standby  mode. Just have few queries -

1. will it be possible to create vPC to each Firewall and have an L3Out to each?

2. Is there any white paper regarding the connectivity to the active/standby firewall without L4 to L7 integration to ACI? 

regards,

Shahin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Shahin,

In this particular scenario you can create a second VPC SVI and assign the same IPs as the first VPC.  Note that since you have an active/stanby FW setup, only the active FW should respond to ARP so the fabric would know to which FW if you forward the traffic.

2VPCs.JPG

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Shahin,

1) Technically yes, you can have a VPC to each FW to two leaf nodes on its own L3OUT. My question is why couldn’t you have both FWs VPC to your border leaf nodes on the same L3Out? 

2) I don’t know of any specific white paper, but in this scenario you can configure the l3out as if you were configuring it to any external router. 

Hi Manuel,

Thank you for your reply.

Have you done vPC to Active/Standby to Firewall pair and have L3out to those Firewalls?

In my scenario the Firewalls are in active/standby mode. Once the active firewall fails the secondary will take on that IP address. Now if I create vPC to the Primary firewall I have to assign SVI IP address to each Leaf and a secondary IP as the next hop from the Firewall. And for the second vPC to the secondary Firewall, how do I assign the IP address? They have to be on the same subnet as the next hop has to be the same from the Firewall. 

So my issue is not the vPC, it the L3Out to the HA Firewall. 

Would really appreciate your comments.

Kind regards,

Shahin

Hi Shahin,

In this particular scenario you can create a second VPC SVI and assign the same IPs as the first VPC.  Note that since you have an active/stanby FW setup, only the active FW should respond to ARP so the fabric would know to which FW if you forward the traffic.

2VPCs.JPG

Hi Manuel,

That is the answer I was after. Really do appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Shahin

Hi,

When you create L3 OUT for connectivity with the Firewall in Active/Standby mode, SVI Based L3 OUT needs to be configured, and regarding the IP Address, please refer to the below example.

Palo Alto Virtual IP 10.0.0.1/24

ACI Leaf 1 Primary IP 10.0.0.4/24

ACI Leaf 1 Secondary IP 10.0.0.3/24 (Virtual)

ACI Leaf 2 Primary IP 10.0.0.5/24

ACI Leaf 2 Secondary IP 10.0.0.3/24 (Virtual)

Route on both the Leaf will be towards the Palo Alto Virtual IP.

Regards,

Harshal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License