Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACI QoS

jowett_chris
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, 

Is there a way a can police traffic on ACI. I need to limit traffic on a particular EPG, i know i can create a custom QoS policy but not sure how i can rate limit it.

I figured i could probably mark the traffic and then send into 7k and police it there, however i was wondering if ACI/AVS has this ability?]

thanks

7 Replies 7

mikriple
Level 1
Level 1

Absolutely, I believe a colleague should be able to share with you a guide on configuring QOS with ACI. I'll have him post the document in the forum.

Be on the lookout for it.

Thanks,

Mike RIpley

that would be great, thanks.

Hi Jowett,

There is also a good post about QoS in ACI:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12506266/qos-aci-intro-configuration-and-verification

This is not exactly what you asked but might help as well.

QoS in ACI: Intro, Configuration, and Verification

That's the one! Did not realize he had posted it yet. 

Hope it helps!

Mike Ripley

Yeah i have read that but unless i am been stupid, this doesnt rate limit traffic. If i wanted to rate limit a VM to 100mb for example, i was hoping i could do that on an EPG.

If i was using Vmware Distributed switch, i could do this, however i am not sure how its done in ACI/AVS

You can do this Chris.  We offer 3 Class policies for which you can configure QOS and apply them to EPG's.

If you wanted to limit traffic to 100Mb, you would go onto 1 of the classes in Fabric > Global Policies > QOS Class Policies > class, and then set the bandwidth to "1%" and set the queue control method to "strict".  You would then apply that class to the EPG.

I have a setup in my lab right now with vMotion that I am testing and I am seeing some unexpected results however.  I'm going to reach out to development and ask some questions about what every knob means.

The "queue control method" is how we will enforce the BW.  "Dynamic" i believe is the same thing as "type queueing" in NXOS, where we will only policy if the link is at 100% utilization.  "Static" is the same thing as "type qos" where we policy regardless of link BW and once traffic for that EPG goes over the allocated amount we drop.

Could you please open up a TAC SR so we can investigate this more closely?  I would like to work on this issue with you.

Joey

Yeah i will raise a TAC for sure.

One thing about the above, i would need to do this per tenant, however there will be different levels of bandwidth given to customers, using the global doesnt make sense because you cannot create more levels.

You can create a QoS custom policy however, there is no bandwidth restriction here.

Chris.

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License