cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco APIC: How to get model name for each controller, spine, and leaf via CLI

fc00::/7
Level 1
Level 1

What is the command to get model name for each controller, spine, and leaf via CLI?

show version don't have it.

APIC03# show version
     Role        Pod         Node        Name             Version              
     ----------  ----------  ----------  -----------  ---------------- 
     controller  1           1           APIC01     	3.2(4e)              
     controller  2           2           APIC02     	3.2(4e)                       
     spine       1           1           SPINE01  	n9000-13.2(4e)       
     spine       1           2           SPINE02  	n9000-13.2(4e)       
     leaf        1           1           LEAF01  	n9000-13.2(4e)       
     leaf        1           2           LEAF02  	n9000-13.2(4e)

show switch shows more info, but still no model name in it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you are interested only in model name, easiest way is to use moquery. I used grep to filter the name and model, but you can use plain output to see all related details to each node (role, rn, serial number, status etc)

apic1# moquery -c fabricNode | grep "model\|name "
model            : N9K-C9xxxx
name             : Spine211
name             : Leaf101
model            : APIC-SERVER-xx
name             : apic1

Regards,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @fc00::/7 ,

Try:

avread
fnvread

I know its 2 commands, but it should give you what you want

apic1# avread
Cluster:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
fabricDomainName        ACI Fabric1
discoveryMode           PERMISSIVE
clusterSize             1
version                 apic-4.2(2f)
drrMode                 OFF
operSize                1

APICs:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    APIC 1
version           4.2(2f)
address           10.1.0.1
oobAddress        172.16.11.111/24
routableAddress   0.0.0.0
tepAddress        10.1.0.0/16
podId             1
chassisId         xxx
cntrlSbst_serial  (APPROVED,xxx)
active            YES
flags             cra-
health            255
apic1# fnvread
        id               address  disabled    active  occupied permanent              model  nodeRole  nodeType  fabricId     podId
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    101(1)      10.1.96.64/32(1)     NO(0)    YES(1)    YES(1)    YES(1) N9K-C93180YC-FX(1)      2(1)      0(1)      1(1)      1(1)
    102(1)      10.1.96.66/32(1)     NO(0)    YES(1)    YES(1)    YES(1) N9K-C93180YC-FX(1)      2(1)      0(1)      1(1)      1(1)
    201(1)      10.1.96.65/32(1)     NO(0)    YES(1)    YES(1)    YES(1)      N9K-C9332C(1)      3(1)      0(1)      1(1)      1(1)

I hope this helps

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

for controllers try show controller command

I don't see model name in "show controller" command.

I'm looking for model name, e.g. Nexus 9000, not the hostname of that device.

Try these commands,

acidiag fnvread
acidiag avread

Thanks, but I can't run "acidiag" command

_exec_legacy_cmd:9: permission denied: /controller/sbin/acidiag

apic# avread
apic# fnvread

These commands are available starting with 4.2.X Not sure if present in 4.1.X as well.

apic# acidiag 
apic# moquery 

These ones are available in all versions.

Regards,

Sergiu

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you are interested only in model name, easiest way is to use moquery. I used grep to filter the name and model, but you can use plain output to see all related details to each node (role, rn, serial number, status etc)

apic1# moquery -c fabricNode | grep "model\|name "
name             : Spine211
name             : Leaf101
model            : APIC-SERVER-xx
name             : apic1

Regards,

Sergiu

The request to get the APIC model number is still answered. What I understand is: APIC is Cisco UCS server and the model number should be like UCS C220M or C240M-L3 etc.

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi,

Good point.  So actually get the model number is a 2 step process

Step 1 is to find the serial number of the APIC - this can be done using an moquery command
Step 2 is to paste the serial number into https://cway.cisco.com/sncheck/ (after logging in)

However, if you actually want to know the UCS model number, that will require Step 3 - which might be a bit tricky, but by searching for cisco apic CIMC software I found this table:

APIC Platform Corresponding UCS Platform Description
APIC-SERVER-M1 UCS-C220-M3 Cluster of three Cisco APIC first generation controllers with medium size CPU, hard drive, and memory configurations for up to 1000 edge ports.
APIC-SERVER-M2 UCS-C220-M4 Cluster of three Cisco APIC second generation controllers with medium size CPU, hard drive, and memory configurations for up to 1000 edge ports.
APIC-SERVER-M3 UCS C220 M5

Cluster of three Cisco APIC second generation controllers with medium size CPU, hard drive, and memory configurations for up to 1000 edge ports.

APIC-SERVER-L1 UCS-C220-M3 Cluster of three Cisco APIC first generation controllers with large size CPU, hard drive, and memory configurations for more than 1000 edge ports.
APIC-SERVER-L2 UCS-C220-M4

Cluster of three Cisco APIC second generation controllers with large size CPU, hard drive, and memory configurations for more than 1000 edge ports.

APIC-SERVER-L3 UCS C220 M5

Cisco APIC with large CPU, hard drive, and memory configurations (more than 1200 edge ports)

Step 1

apic1# moquery -c infraWiNode | grep mbSn
mbSn           : FCH1907V0YZ

Step 2

RedNectar_0-1706677225525.png

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License